LEGAL OR NOT???? THE ASSASSIN

s bags

had a kid in  folk HS state finals hit it and the ref called it illegal. said "it always was" which sounds like ref made up cover tracks BS to me. Its the same lock as a front headlock. 

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

17 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

this is whats infuriating, refs will just stop it every time they see it without reference to the conddition required to make it illegal.

PA, a state known for allowing tough wrestling advises their refs to never allow it even get to the "end point."  It almost always becomes a choke, at least if applied in the manner that it is generally taught.

14 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

PA, a state known for allowing tough wrestling advises their refs to never allow it even get to the "end point."  It almost always becomes a choke, at least if applied in the manner that it is generally taught.

so you don't the move is legitamite? honest question

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

so you don't the move is legitamite? honest question

I have used it circa 2007 and even taught it in the past, before the various rulings from NFHS and others.  However, that was before I became an official. 

In my advanced age, I realize that a lot of it's effectiveness is due to the fact that it is a blood choke.  I realize there are pretty good reasons when the NFHS and even PA officials release rulings.

• Fire 1

On 5/17/2023 at 10:48 AM, Hammerlock3 said:

this is whats infuriating, refs will just stop it every time they see it without reference to the conddition required to make it illegal.

Is the ref calling it potentially dangerous or assessing it as a penalty? Plenty of top moves in HS wrestling get called potentially dangerous even if they are within what is technically considered legal. You see it a lot with arm bars, leg riding, scrambling, and power halves.  That's just part of what HS wrestling is-the refs side on keeping the athletes healthy.  It's just HS wrestling after all-lets save the serious injuries for college. 

• Fire 3

17 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Is the ref calling it potentially dangerous or assessing it as a penalty? Plenty of top moves in HS wrestling get called potentially dangerous even if they are within what is technically considered legal. You see it a lot with arm bars, leg riding, scrambling, and power halves.  That's just part of what HS wrestling is-the refs side on keeping the athletes healthy.  It's just HS wrestling after all-lets save the serious injuries for college. 

there is a difference between protecting athletes and proiritizing esoteric rules for personal reasons. 

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

looking smart, feeling important. this is real

Are you saying that a ref calling a hold PD or illegal, using the correct interpretation of the rules, to "look smart" is a bad thing?  If the call is the right one, I can't see how it is bad.  I like looking "smart" as an athlete, as a coach, or as a ref.  As long as the ref is making the correct call, I don't see what is wrong with "smart."  Perhaps an example (real world) would better explain your position?

• Fire 1