Lopez to return seeking 5th Olympic title

9 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Forty one when the Olympics come around. US has a forty plus year old in final x don't we?

At 77 KG in Greco, yes we do.  Former Bronze medalist at that.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

when kikiniou showed up in vegas had no clue who this crazy old man was...

then he hit my boy payton with one of the nastiest arm throws ever...

paid more attention to him last weekend...

he made everyone of us old guys feel less masculine...

had several convos about how none of us have any excuses anymore...

On 5/24/2023 at 10:47 AM, BuckyBadger said:

A vein just burst in Kayaalp  He’s got to be up there as one of the best to never win Olympic gold.

I think he is well below Rostorotsky, Tomov, among just heavyweights. Charitably he is about as good as Nikola Dinev, but in an era where Russia/Soviets are painfully mediocre at the weight with no signs of life and every other country that used to produce good heavyweights (including the US) went dry. So he has an inflated medal count. 

What are his best wins in the past 10 years in big competitions? A no score ref decision against Lopez, 19 year old Semenov, Oscar? His euro campaign has been unbelievably weak, his "main rival" on that continent couldn't bother to show up. 

This "2-1" version of post Tokyo Riza isn't beating a 50 year old Lopez, he injures himself mid match. 

On 5/29/2023 at 6:06 PM, LJB said:

i would put it somewhere north of 99%...

Is that hyperbole or do you really think he is that good at 40+ years old? I don’t follow Greco nearly as close as you, but I wouldn’t give anyone in freestyle that close to a 99% chance of winning the Olympics (including Sadulaev). 99% vs the field is pretty incredible

16 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Is that hyperbole or do you really think he is that good at 40+ years old? I don’t follow Greco nearly as close as you, but I wouldn’t give anyone in freestyle that close to a 99% chance of winning the Olympics (including Sadulaev). 99% vs the field is pretty incredible

he is that good...

• Fire 2

58 minutes ago, LJB said:

know that those world silver medals also came with a suitcase...

Interesting… I thought I remembered one of his silvers being quite controversial (as in being thrown). It wouldn’t surprise me if it was the case for all of them. I can’t imagine what it’s like for him in Cuba, so I don’t blame him one bit. I’ll be rooting for him for sure in 2024. It would be pretty cool to witness such a historical feat!

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Interesting… I thought I remembered one of his silvers being quite controversial (as in being thrown). It wouldn’t surprise me if it was the case for all of them. I can’t imagine what it’s like for him in Cuba, so I don’t blame him one bit. I’ll be rooting for him for sure in 2024. It would be pretty cool to witness such a historical feat!

Yeah,  I imagine he is going through hell being one of the biggest celebrities in Cuban athletic history and living on a tropical island.  He also has a brother who is an Olympic Medalist Boxer.     Cuban super athletes are treated like royalty. 

2 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Yeah,  I imagine he is going through hell being one of the biggest celebrities in Cuban athletic history and living on a tropical island.  He also has a brother who is an Olympic Medalist Boxer.     Cuban super athletes are treated like royalty. 

Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

7 hours ago, LJB said:

know that those world silver medals also came with a suitcase...

I remember in 07 worlds team USA being very happy that he did NOT take the money. His win gave USA the team title that year.  

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 1

Maybe Rulon can make a difference.  If he can make weight.   It's an old guys game these days I guess.  

One other note, he (Lopez) was that good.   I don't know that anyone knows that he is that good anymore.   Even Karelin fell.  We need to get Gable to do both next year.   Could Gable beat Schultz in GR?   Could he be a medal winner in both FS and GR in the 2024 Olympics?   Maybe that would be something worth looking into for him.   It would be tough for sure as competitions are close together in time.   But what a statement that would make.  

mspart

Just now, mspart said:

Maybe Rulon can make a difference.  If he can make weight.   It's an old guys game these days I guess.  

One other note, he (Lopez) was that good.   I don't know that anyone knows that he is that good anymore.   Even Karelin fell.  We need to get Gable to do both next year.   Could Gable beat Schultz in GR?   Could he be a medal winner in both FS and GR in the 2024 Olympics?   Maybe that would be something worth looking into for him.   It would be tough for sure as competitions are close together in time.   But what a statement that would make.  

mspart

in any greco match reffed by someone who understands greco (i.e.- not 99% of domestic refs who allow shit to happen that would never fly overseas), gable would get smashed schultz...

it would be ugly...

like picking on a cripple...

i shudder to think what international heavies would do to gable...

Disgusted Cedric The Entertainer GIF by CBS