True 3rds Officially Announced...

nhs67

These are some good matchups.   Fix-DeSanto, that will be good unless those on here saying Fix is HEW are correct.   Will he have any fight in him?   That remains to be seen.   Great matchup.   This will certainly liven up the event. 

mspart

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

USAW HATES THIS ONE WEIRD ZAHID TRICK…

If Zahid wins 92 kg spot, and Brooks loses 86 kg spot, there should be a special wrestle off between Zahid/Brooks. Best of three series with Brooks only needing to win 1 match (since he beat him at The Open) and Zahid needing to win 2 straight. 

• Clown 1

36 minutes ago, MidwestWrest said:

If Zahid wins 92 kg spot, and Brooks loses 86 kg spot, there should be a special wrestle off between Zahid/Brooks. Best of three series with Brooks only needing to win 1 match (since he beat him at The Open) and Zahid needing to win 2 straight. 

Guess Brooks should have made the decision to go 92 kg.  Instead he chose 86, knowing exactly where Taylor was going to be and how they stack up.  That's on him and his coaches.

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, MidwestWrest said:

This is a rather piss-poor take.

When entering the US Open he knew that winning meant he could not go to 92 KG or make a go for that spot if he earned a chance at Final X.  It specifically state(s/d) it in the registration.  Those who accepted Final X bids before the US Open or after winning it were not allowed to enter WTT at an attempt to earn another spot.

Even disregarding all of this, he knew DT was the guy waiting for him.  Being able to get a feel for him in an actual competition setting might be better for him than going 92 KG.

In short... he didn't earn the shot at Zahid for the 92 KG spot.  He has never wrestled 92 KG and there is an entire ladder of people ahead of him at 92 KG.  Zahid did earn the shot at 92 KG for Final X by actually wrestling 92 KG at the WTT.

It might not seem fair.  It is fair per the rules, which everyone knew or knows.  If they don't it isn't on USA Wrestling to explain in layman's terms.  The information and criteria have been out for a while.

• Fire 1

Untitled.png.b445674eab5d894a7e3dbfb5e0743772.png

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This is a rather piss-poor take.

It might not seem fair.  It is fair per the rules, which everyone knew or knows.  If they don't it isn't on USA Wrestling to explain in layman's terms.  The information and criteria have been out for a while.

there is a reason "fans" is a derivative of fanatic...

"fans" rarely bother with silly things likes "rules" or "fairness" or "information" or "criteria"...

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Guess Brooks should have made the decision to go 92 kg.  Instead he chose 86, knowing exactly where Taylor was going to be and how they stack up.  That's on him and his coaches.

Would have been hilarious to troll Zahid by declining the 86kg Final X berth and showing up at WTT to compete for the 92 spot. And given the results, I'm kind of surprised that gameplan wasn't at least tossed out in a half-hearted "get a feel for the room" comment.

• Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Would have been hilarious to troll Zahid by declining the 86kg Final X berth and showing up at WTT to compete for the 92 spot. And given the results, I'm kind of surprised that gameplan wasn't at least tossed out in a half-hearted "get a feel for the room" comment.

All in an effort to keep Zahid out?   Seems kind of like a weird effort for anyone to do.  If Brooks did that, then he gives up his Final X spot and Zahid could go to WTT at 86 and Brooks would be at 92.   I don't think it would work out well, just thinking out loud.   Brooks knows he was gunning for Taylor.   Zahid did a Taylor by moving weight classes.   Smart move as it turns out.   He'll have another shot now at getting on the team.   Better to be on the team than not. 

mspart

8 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Injury kept him out of the Open. No reason to cut weight and risk further injury for the miniscule stipend from USAW.

The stipend from our illustrious national organization for a year in Greco would hardly cover the cost of travel to final x…

but…

he isn’t paying for that travel out of his pocket anyway…

the real question is if there is a difference in what USAW pays in the women’s style vs Greco, which, I truly have no idea, but, considering the differences in how they promote or even care between the two my guess is Greco gets less…

But again, pure assumptions on my part…

17 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Injury kept him out of the Open. No reason to cut weight and risk further injury for the miniscule stipend from USAW.

Well, he went to WTTs.   He took 2nd.   He must be healed up.  At least enough to fight at final X if he had prevailed.  Plus, I'm thinking he can't stand the thought of Austin DeSanto being ahead of him on the chart.  But I might have it all wrong.   I don't like ADS but I have to admit he has been doing much better on the FS circuit than I would have given him credit for.  I do admire his tenacious attitude, just not his vindictive attitude.   I hope he has left that behind. 

mspart

21 minutes ago, LJB said:

The stipend from our illustrious national organization for a year in Greco would hardly cover the cost of travel to final x…

but…

he isn’t paying for that travel out of his pocket anyway…

the real question is if there is a difference in what USAW pays in the women’s style vs Greco, which, I truly have no idea, but, considering the differences in how they promote or even care between the two my guess is Greco gets less…

But again, pure assumptions on my part…

It appears that the USAW stipends are the same no matter the style.

From
https://content.themat.com/forms/USA_Wrestling_National_Teams_Agreement.pdf

image.png

21 minutes ago, mspart said:

Well, he went to WTTs.   He took 2nd.   He must be healed up.  At least enough to fight at final X if he had prevailed.  Plus, I'm thinking he can't stand the thought of Austin DeSanto being ahead of him on the chart.  But I might have it all wrong.   I don't like ADS but I have to admit he has been doing much better on the FS circuit than I would have given him credit for.  I do admire his tenacious attitude, just not his vindictive attitude.   I hope he has left that behind. 

mspart

Wrestling for a spot on the World Team vs. a true 3rd for $4000 when you aren't 100% isn't comparable. You'll see a few of these matches not happen due to the athlete's being banged up and the associated costs of getting to the event to win $4200 for the year.

20 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It appears that the USAW stipends are the same no matter the style.

From
https://content.themat.com/forms/USA_Wrestling_National_Teams_Agreement.pdf

image.png

This is the first time I’ve ever seen that document…

I am pleasantly surprised that everyone gets the same amount…

now I know exactly what the kids injury while up 4-0 early in his first match last weekend actually “cost” him…

Well, played Mr. Dole… Well played, indeed…

Tip Of The Cap GIF by Giphy QA

24 minutes ago, LJB said:

This is the first time I’ve ever seen that document…

now I know exactly what the kids injury while up 4-0 early in his first match last weekend actually “cost” him…

Well, played Mr. Dole… Well played, indeed…

Tip Of The Cap GIF by Giphy QA

I had a little more confidence as it would be hard for a National Governing Body to justify having different pay structures based on the style or gender. Now if you're someone independent like Flo who pays competitors for events they can do what they want.

11 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I had a little more confidence as it would be hard for a National Governing Body to justify having different pay structures based on the style or gender. Now if you're someone independent like Flo who pays competitors for events they can do what they want.

If only the reciprocation played out in every other aspect…

2 hours ago, BobDole said:

Wrestling for a spot on the World Team vs. a true 3rd for $4000 when you aren't 100% isn't comparable. You'll see a few of these matches not happen due to the athlete's being banged up and the associated costs of getting to the event to win $4200 for the year.

I would like to be the first to say that I hope your prediction is wrong.   I hope they all show up.   That's just me being greedy I know.  I think the money is short sighted as a main viewpoint on this.   You make #3 then you can hope and pray the other two guys get hurt and you are up!!!    Not so much if you don't show up. 

mspart

All the greco guys will show up because they need every dime they can get…

And let’s be honest… Most of these guys are sponsored by one of the three clubs in this country that do it, and get their flights and hotel paid for or at least a good portion of it…

• Fire 1