Is Jason Nolf the most under appreciated 3xer ever ?

The man only lost to Imar twice as a freshman (O.T. And by 1 with a final second takedown , also pinned Imar that year and then was challenged 1 time for the rest of his career ( ncaa semis Vs hidley Sr Year) he literally destroyed everyone in between , making up moves and pinning AAs with them , won ncaas with multiple torn ligaments in his knee , literally changed his style over night and dominated everyone  , had a better career then DT, Bo , Zain , Spencer Lee but never seems to be mentioned when talking about top guys 

• Fire 1

I think he gets plenty of respect for his college career, which was outstanding. But unlike Taylor, Nickal, etc. he isn't really the type to toot his own horn (Nick Lee is another). Also a lot of folks may be holding off on the GOAT talk until they see Nolf's results in FS.

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, Elevator said:

Not many D1 schools where Nolf would not obviously be the top collegiate wrestler in school history and probably belongs in the discussion at PSU.   We may be about to see if he can translate that to freestyle.  

It won’t translate to freestyle if he doesnt beat a 4x world champ? 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I bounce back and forth between Nolf and Ruth.

I always believed both guys would win no matter who they were facing. They both had that "sleepy" kind of dominance Cael Sanderson did. Unteachable feel, endless gas tanks. Both get overlooked a little because their team mates were also otherworldly.

2 hours ago, Matthew Burns said:

I bounce back and forth between Nolf and Ruth.

how are they 'underappreciated' though? 

they were wholly lauded/beloved at the time, and are still revered now.

i don't understand. 

unless (no offense) you have an inaccurate assessment of what the public perception is/has been. 

Snow removal businesses are very real.

21 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The man only lost to Imar twice as a freshman (O.T. And by 1 with a final second takedown , also pinned Imar that year and then was challenged 1 time for the rest of his career ( ncaa semis Vs hidley Sr Year) he literally destroyed everyone in between , making up moves and pinning AAs with them , won ncaas with multiple torn ligaments in his knee , literally changed his style over night and dominated everyone  , had a better career then DT, Bo , Zain , Spencer Lee but never seems to be mentioned when talking about top guys 

"Most Underappreciated 3xer ever"

so you're gonna list all the 3 timers, and then you're thesis is that Jason Nolf is the least respected/'loved'/talked about/appreciate

out of them all? that's what you're saying? 

Snow removal businesses are very real.

5 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

how are they 'underappreciated' though? 

they were wholly lauded/beloved at the time, and are still revered now.

i don't understand. 

unless (no offense) you have an inaccurate assessment of what the public perception is/has been. 

The subject is a bit of a reach, so the conversation will have to be as well. Nolf and Ruth both have team mates with multiple Hodge trophies.

It's like trying to pick "the ugliest Playboy Playmate ever". We are living in a land that is pretty far from ugly.

• Fire 1

57 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

understood. 

but i'd say Pat Smith (who's a 4xer) and Greg Jones (3xer with less career losses than Kyle Dake) are far less referenced/lauded than Ruth or Nolf.

I'll own up to a recency bias on that.

I think there is less debate that Smith and Jones were both regarded as the best guy on their team. Both won as freshmen which established them as elite from the word "go". They also came from some pretty killer families wrestling wise.

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

understood. 

but i'd say Pat Smith (who's a 4xer) and Greg Jones (3xer with less career losses than Kyle Dake) are far less referenced/lauded than Ruth or Nolf.

Idk how pat smith fits into it but Greg Jones and Ed Ruth are the 2 that I considered when making this statement , but decided on Nolf bc his 2 loses were freshman year to a 2xer, Jones didn’t even AA as a sophomore and Ruth lost his sr year and then won a close rematch with dean at ncaas 

Part of the issue, IMO, with guys like Jones and even further back in time like Simons, is wrestlers from non-power programs don’t have the vocal fanbases to continue to talk about them as much.

Most of the legends in the pre-internet era could be deemed under-appreciated.

• Fire 3

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008.