Rich Perry settles lawsuit

On 5/29/2023 at 1:21 PM, moodybooty said:

I think this is the first time I'm reading details of the incident -- so much malpractice all around. Angering, really.

I'm glad he'll be financially protected through this. Thanks for posting!

At least USA Wrestling stopped this and will never do that again. 

12 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

At least USA Wrestling stopped this and will never do that again. 

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Star Wars Irony GIF

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

"Rather, the issue was that wrestlers untrained in handling such weapons were placed into advanced-level military training exercises."

Huh?  Could someone explain what I'm missing here?  Were they fighting with pugil sticks?  Good for Perry getting a settlement but this sentence ..??

Pugil Sticks are used in BASIC training.   As a Marine I was taught a slash, a smash and a thrust.  We then proceeded to slash, smash and thrust (mostly wild whacking)  each other.  Nothing "advanced-level" about it.  It was fun.  I'm guessing that cavemen did this without any training.  Nothing about those BASIC training 3 techniques would prevent injury from a faulty equipment issue in this basic-level military training exercise.  The issue (IMHO) was world class athletes stressing faulty equipment.

See below link.  Notice at 8 second mark the marine using an open face mask.  Hopefully these have been retired and replaced.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pugil+sticks+marines&rlz=1CAKDUD_enUS890&oq=pugil+sticks&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i512l9.6659j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:2b5ffb15,vid:wqbNFfyUVpQ

Sorry for the old guy vet rant.  Get off my lawn.

2 hours ago, swoopdown said:

"Rather, the issue was that wrestlers untrained in handling such weapons were placed into advanced-level military training exercises."

Huh?  Could someone explain what I'm missing here?  Were they fighting with pugil sticks?  Good for Perry getting a settlement but this sentence ..??

Pugil Sticks are used in BASIC training.   As a Marine I was taught a slash, a smash and a thrust.  We then proceeded to slash, smash and thrust (mostly wild whacking)  each other.  Nothing "advanced-level" about it.  It was fun.  I'm guessing that cavemen did this without any training.  Nothing about those BASIC training 3 techniques would prevent injury from a faulty equipment issue in this basic-level military training exercise.  The issue (IMHO) was world class athletes stressing faulty equipment.

See below link.  Notice at 8 second mark the marine using an open face mask.  Hopefully these have been retired and replaced.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pugil+sticks+marines&rlz=1CAKDUD_enUS890&oq=pugil+sticks&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i512l9.6659j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:2b5ffb15,vid:wqbNFfyUVpQ

Sorry for the old guy vet rant.  Get off my lawn.

This helps with context, especially when realizing how freak of an accident this really was. 

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

2 hours ago, swoopdown said:

With a horizontal butt-stroke, AHHHHHHHTACK!