Oklahoma State 2023-24, 2024-25

nhs67

Greetings All,

Not particularly an OSU fan, however I think they have a very bright post-Focus era in store for them and the gents who were on the "FIRE SMITH BECAUSE FOCUS IS SO MUCH BETTER OF A PERSON" wagon are going to feel real dumb when the dust settles.

I know big Mastro and VV, who were likely their future 149/157 guys for the next three seasons, are both gone.  Insert Jordan Williams and Tagen Jamison there.  They also have Cutter Sheets on the roster as well, so I do think they look rather good for the foreseeable.  Mix in some redshirts and all that...

Regardless this is what it looks like...

- 23/24 -
125 - Troy Spratley (3), Reece Witcraft (1)
133 - Daton Fix (1), Cael Hughes (4)
141 - Sammy Alvarez (2)
149 - Tagen Jamison (4), Cutter Sheets (4)
157 - Jordan Williams (4), Cutter Sheets (4)
165 - Izzak Olejnik (1),
174 - Travis Wittlake (1)
184 - Kyle Haas (3), Brayden Thompson (4)
197 - Luke Surber (2)
285 - Konner Doucet (2), Christian Carroll (4)

I think they could qualify at every weight with any of the gents listed.  Fix is a contender for a NC and every other weight is a contender to AA, providing development doesn't hit a snag.

- 24/25 -
125 - Troy Spratley (2), Beric Jordan (4)
133 - Carter Young (1), Cael Hughes (4)
141 - Carter Young (1), Sammy Alvarez (1)
149 - Tagen Jamison (3), Cutter Sheets (3)
157 - Jordan Williams (3), Cutter Sheets (3)
165 - Mirzo Khayitov (2)
174 - Dustin Plott (1)
184 - Brayden Thompson (4), Kyle Haas (2)
197 - Luke Surber (1)
285 - Christian Carroll (4), Konner Doucet (1)

This is a lot of projection(s) here, as some kids grow and some do not.  I thought the idea was for Jordan Williams to grow in to 157 before VV left, but he just didn't look to gain much(any) weight?  If Khayitov (who has dreams of 74 KG for Uzbekistan, so 165lbs is likely is weight) doesn't come to fruition, I am not sure who would slide up to 165lbs.

It would be idea if they could get Jamison, Sheets, and Williams all to progress along together to become AA contenders together.  Could they spread through 149-165 or would 141-157 be more realistic and put Alvarez and/or Young out of the lineup(s)?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Mind you, I do anticipate folks to see that the culture is different/changed and expect them to get a transfer or two in, which could be answers to 165...

5 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I do have to laugh that you referred to the former upperweight wrestler as "Focus".

Perhaps had the same said diva done just that - focused - he might be a bit further along.

5 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Just a quick correction, Spratley has only been in college one year and it was his redshirt. He will have 4 years of eligibility beginning this year same as Jamison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for what it is worth, and also understanding it is just practice, but I am told Spratley looks "really really good" going live with Fix. 

35 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

He’s a title contender this year and moving forward imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes sir, he wrestled at our highschool for a year and I knew he was special.  I agree, I would bet money he AA's for sure....

• Fire 1

Is he good at getting out from bottom?  I swear, it looked like Carter taught Fix how to get ridden. 

8 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

yes sir, he wrestled at our highschool for a year and I knew he was special.  I agree, I would bet money he AA's for sure....

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

They are overloaded with talent and will need to utilize unconventional redshirts to make it all work

All after the talk was that John was done and the program may be looking to rebuild.  

I thought willie said that Smith was planning on retiring after this year? Or is he waiting till Fix graduates 

10 hours ago, flyingcement said:

They are overloaded with talent and will need to utilize unconventional redshirts to make it all work

All after the talk was that John was done and the program may be looking to rebuild.  

let's wait and see how good of true coaching job he can do. Ferrari set him back a few years, IMO.  That room was toxic, and nobody got a long. There were a couple of starters that were talking about portaling, but they didn't.  I could see Thompson being much like Ferrari in the way of trouble.  IF that happens, lets see how John handles it. 

• Fire 1

20 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Greetings All,

Not particularly an OSU fan, however I think they have a very bright post-Focus era in store for them and the gents who were on the "FIRE SMITH BECAUSE FOCUS IS SO MUCH BETTER OF A PERSON" wagon are going to feel real dumb when the dust settles.

I know big Mastro and VV, who were likely their future 149/157 guys for the next three seasons, are both gone.  Insert Jordan Williams and Tagen Jamison there.  They also have Cutter Sheets on the roster as well, so I do think they look rather good for the foreseeable.  Mix in some redshirts and all that...

- 23/24 -
141 - Sammy Alvarez (2)
165 - Izzak Olejnik (1),
197 - Luke Surber (2)

I think they could qualify at every weight with any of the gents listed.  Fix is a contender for a NC and every other weight is a contender to AA, providing development doesn't hit a snag.

- 24/25 -
165 - Mirzo Khayitov (2)
174 - Dustin Plott (1)
197 - Luke Surber (1)

This is a lot of projection(s) here, as some kids grow and some do not.  I thought the idea was for Jordan Williams to grow in to 157 before VV left, but he just didn't look to gain much(any) weight?  If Khayitov (who has dreams of 74 KG for Uzbekistan, so 165lbs is likely is weight) doesn't come to fruition, I am not sure who would slide up to 165lbs.

It would be idea if they could get Jamison, Sheets, and Williams all to progress along together to become AA contenders together.  Could they spread through 149-165 or would 141-157 be more realistic and put Alvarez and/or Young out of the lineup(s)?

Isn't Cutter Sheets more of a room guy?

22 hours ago, nhs67 said:

- 24/25 -
133 - Carter Young (2), Cael Hughes (4)
141 - Carter Young (2), Sammy Alvarez (1)
165 - Mirzo Khayitov (2)
174 - Dustin Plott (1)
197 - Luke Surber (1)

ft: believe Young will have 2 more years, competed Fr & So, rs 23/24 so rJR & rSr remaining. 

• Fire 1

23 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Greetings All,

- 23/24 -
141 - Sammy Alvarez (2)
165 - Izzak Olejnik (1),
197 - Luke Surber (2)

- 24/25 -
165 - Mirzo Khayitov (2)
174 - Dustin Plott (1)
197 - Luke Surber (1)

I don't think there is any way that Christian Carroll doesn't come in and start from Day 1

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Talent hasn't been the problem with OSU, it has been developing the talent that is a gigantic problem.  Also, I wouldn't call these teams "overloaded with talent" especially when you look at what teams like Michigan, Penn State, Iowa and Iowa State are doing

7 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

I don't think there is any way that Christian Carroll doesn't come in and start from Day 1

How do you see him faring against Bastida and Elam out the gate?

I am not opposed to him starting and I do think he has a higher potential than Doucet.  That said, I think this is going to be like a Feldman/Ornerydwarf scenario.  Almost identical, really - just that tOSU wrestlers were better than their OSU counterparts (Feldman > Carrol, Ornerydwarf > Doucet).

Redshirt him to allow him to add some size.  That is really the only scenario I envision him not starting as well.  I do expect him to get some of his shots at varsity guys in duals.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

How do you see him faring against Bastida and Elam out the gate?

I am not opposed to him starting and I do think he has a higher potential than Doucet.  That said, I think this is going to be like a Feldman/Ornerydwarf scenario.  Almost identical, really - just that tOSU wrestlers were better than their OSU counterparts (Feldman > Carrol, Ornerydwarf > Doucet).

Redshirt him to allow him to add some size.  That is really the only scenario I envision him not starting as well.  I do expect him to get some of his shots at varsity guys in duals.

Well you're comparing him to two top guys, I'm not saying Carroll is going to come in an take top 4 AA as a true freshman but he will at least give the pokes a live body at heavyweight, something Doucet is not and something they have been severely lacking for a while aside from White