23 states now....

20 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Have legal 'recreational' marijuana.  How long till the feds give it a rest?

(Trying to shift from talk of president's, and into something that actually impacts our daily life)

Not my drug of choice, but there's no reason for it not to be treated at least the same as alcohol.

Why is it illegal? Britannica has the answer.
https://www.britannica.com/story/why-is-marijuana-illegal-in-the-us

the lumber mills at the turn of the century were very threatened by hemp which is a more durable and easily reneweable material that can be used for damn near anything...

always follow the money...

11 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

As I live in a stoner state, I can say we need some changes. 

1) Too much public consumption.

2) No definitive way to determine DUI.  Lots of people smoke while driving.

3) Employment based drug screening.

I'm in a medical state, medical prescriber, with a (government) job that does randoms.   Certainly a tricky dynamic.  I got my prescription after a hospital visit and just went straight to my superiors and told them.

22 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Don't have a dog in this fight as I now live a stoner state and I don't personally use, but midterms -2026- will be the tipping point.

I thought '24 would have a shot at the federal level but I think we would be hearing about it by now if it were going to make a big move.

2 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i really don't care about weed smoking and its laws. same as alcohol.

but, generally speaking, i dont think it's a net positive for society. just my 2 cents. 

You don't think legal on a federal level is a net positive? (Just clarifying)

15 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i really don't care about weed smoking and its laws. same as alcohol.

but, generally speaking, i dont think it's a net positive for society. just my 2 cents. 

while i have many mixed feelings about the pros and cons of federal legalization, don't act like humans have not been using cannabis since at least since we came down from the trees...

cheeseburgers are a worse blight on this society...

• Fire 2

Going from an illegal state to a legal state is always surprising when the smell smacks you in the face walking around. Definitely not a big fan of that especially when you're with kids.

I'm all for it being legal, however as someone else stated the public consumption needs to be regulated in some fashion. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Going from an illegal state to a legal state is always surprising when the smell smacks you in the face walking around. Definitely not a big fan of that especially when you're with kids.

I'm all for it being legal, however as someone else stated the public consumption needs to be regulated in some fashion. 

With so many varieties in delivery now I can see restrictions on combustion/flower in public as a negotiating point...

I personally do not indulge in the whacky tobacky, but I guess I don't have a problem with it being legal.  Seems more harmless than drinking for many reason's...don't remember ever reading a headline that said a person high on the devil's lettuce ran head on into a family killing them.  Not to mention I think the impact on health is much less compared to booze, especially those people who just do gummies.  Legalize it if you ask me.

3 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I personally do not indulge in the whacky tobacky, but I guess I don't have a problem with it being legal.  Seems more harmless than drinking for many reason's...don't remember ever reading a headline that said a person high on the devil's lettuce ran head on into a family killing them.  Not to mention I think the impact on health is much less compared to booze, especially those people who just do gummies.  Legalize it if you ask me.

alcohol is exponentially more physically harmful to your body than any weed...

it is not even comparable...

you can die from sudden withdrawal from alcohol... one of two "drugs" that that can even happen from (i forget the other)

weed is not physically addictive at all...

• Fire 1

Just now, LJB said:

alcohol is exponentially more physically harmful to your body than any weed...

it is not even comparable...

you can die from sudden withdrawal from alcohol... one of two "drugs" that that can even happen from (i forget the other)

weed is not physically addictive at all...

Yeah.  I also read you can't OD on weed.

I live in a stoner state.   Weed has been decriminalized.   But public consumption is prohibited by law.   Yeah right.   Police will not even arrest people for public fentanyl use because the prosecutors will not uphold the law and will not prosecute, and judges give out wimpy sentences if anyone is ever charged and convicted.  

I'm guessing it is similar wherever weed has been decriminalized.   Effectively it is legal and not just in 23 states.   How often do we hear of people being arrested for weed use, possession, or selling.   I don't, but I live in a stoner state.  It doesn't happen around here, Oregon, or California. 

mspart

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

Weed is not physically addictive…

You might want to rethink that.

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

Marijuana use can lead to the development of problem use, known as a marijuana use disorder, which takes the form of addiction in severe cases. Recent data suggest that 30% of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder.18 People who begin using marijuana before the age of 18 are four to seven times more likely to develop a marijuana use disorder than adults.19

Marijuana use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana frequently often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.20,21 Marijuana dependence occurs when the brain adapts to large amounts of the drug by reducing production of and sensitivity to its own endocannabinoid neurotransmitters.22,23

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects/addiction.html

Some people who use marijuana will develop marijuana use disorder, meaning that they are unable to stop using marijuana even though it’s causing health and social problems in their lives.

• One study estimated that approximately 3 in 10 people who use marijuana have marijuana use disorder.1
  • Another study estimated that people who use cannabis have about a 10% likelihood of becoming addicted.2
  • The risk of developing marijuana use disorder is greater in people who start using marijuana during youth or adolescence and who use marijuana more frequently.3

The following are signs of marijuana use disorder 4:

• Using more marijuana than intended
  • Trying but failing to quit using marijuana
  • Spending a lot of time using marijuana
  • Craving marijuana
  • Using marijuana even though it causes problems at home, school, or work
  • Continuing to use marijuana despite social or relationship problems.
  • Giving up important activities with friends and family in favor of using marijuana.
  • Using marijuana in high-risk situations, such as while driving a car.
  • Continuing to use marijuana despite physical or psychological problems.
  • Needing to use more marijuana to get the same high.
  • Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when stopping marijuana use.

In a study of cannabis research samples over time, the average delta-9 THC (the main form of THC in the cannabis plant) concentration almost doubled, from 9% in 2008 to 17% in 2017.7 Products from dispensaries often offer much higher concentrations than seen in this study. In a study of products available in online dispensaries in 3 states with legal non-medical adult marijuana use, the average THC concentration was 22%, with a range of 0% to 45%.8

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/25/health/marijuana-potency-addiction-study-wellness/index.html

Higher concentrations of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC – the part of the marijuana plant that makes you high – are causing more people to become addicted in many parts of the world, a new review of studies found.

Compared with people who use lower-potency products (typically 5 to 10 milligrams per gram of THC), those who use higher-potency cannabis are more likely to experience addiction and mental health outcomes, according to the study published Monday in the journal Lancet Psychiatry.

Scientists have established a “standard THC unit” of 5 milligrams of THC for research. That amount is said to produce a mild intoxication for nonregular users.

“One of the highest quality studies included in our publication found that use of high potency cannabis, compared to low potency cannabis, was linked to a four-fold increased risk of addiction,” said study coauthor Tom Freeman, a senior lecturer in the department of psychology and director of the addiction and mental health group at the University of Bath in the United Kingdom, in an email.

In the United States, about 3 in 10 people who use marijuana have cannabis use disorder, the medical term for marijuana addiction, according to the US Centers for Disease and Prevention.

mspart