"Ancient" Anderson Silva beat by "dbag" Jake Paul

GreatWhiteNorth

Haven't found the video yet but it sounded like the fix was in (again.)

Pffff... Youtubers can't fight for sh**, but they know how to collect money from the public by fighting high profile has-beens.

[EDIT: Found the video and was as bad as expected. Maybe a little worse.]

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

The guy is tough, and — pretty freaking good at making money.  He doesn’t deserve scorn ….  He is an entertainer.  

He has attracted masses that willingly part with their money to watch what he is offering.  Plenty of ‘the masses’ have enough disposable income to spend it on his product.  Smart guy.  

He'd get killed with a real current pro boxer.   He knows it and that is why he steers clear of it.   He has made more than most fighters make as a living.   He's smart and using what he has to make money.   People want to pay to watch, then all the better for him.   He looked like he got a good right in on Silva to knock him down.  

mspart

• Fire 1

I don’t understand why mma fighters would handicap themselves by fighting just a boxing match.  If he boxed other boxers pretty sure he would get hurt badly.  I would like to see the shoe on the other foot and fight these bouts again in mma.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, Dark Energy said:

The guy is tough, and — pretty freaking good at making money.  He doesn’t deserve scorn ….  He is an entertainer.  

He has attracted masses that willingly part with their money to watch what he is offering.  Plenty of ‘the masses’ have enough disposable income to spend it on his product.  Smart guy.  

Yet he claims to be a professional boxer.

He makes money at boxing so I guess he could call himself a professional boxer.  Everyone knows he is not really a pro boxer.   It is all about the appearances and not about reality.   Does he need to fight anymore with the money he's made.   Probably not.  He has marketed himself really well and has lived the dream.   I hope he invests as well as he promotes. 

mspart

11 hours ago, mspart said:

He makes money at boxing so I guess he could call himself a professional boxer.  Everyone knows he is not really a pro boxer.   It is all about the appearances and not about reality.   Does he need to fight anymore with the money he's made.   Probably not.  He has marketed himself really well and has lived the dream.   I hope he invests as well as he promotes. 

mspart

Unfortunately, "Everyone" doesn't know he's not a real pro boxer. Posters on this very thread don't seem to know - and that sample trends heavily toward those that should probably know better. Image all those that don't know.

He isn't a real pro boxer as he claims to be, he's a fake. A phony. A dbag. 

On 11/8/2022 at 1:10 AM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Unfortunately, "Everyone" doesn't know he's not a real pro boxer. Posters on this very thread don't seem to know - and that sample trends heavily toward those that should probably know better. Image all those that don't know.

He isn't a real pro boxer as he claims to be, he's a fake. A phony. A dbag. 

He is relatively good compared to how my untrained buddies 'boxed' in high school.  We put on the gloves and threw haymakers.  The smallest buddy took boxing lessons for a short while and lit us up.  My question isn't whether he is good.  My question is whether he pays the loser to dive.  I assume the fight is fixed based on the age and boxing skill of the opponent selected.  I don't think the loser is paid to lose.  Hence, the contact and fight is real.

image.png.83f1d5c7efe2a09b924b00ca442c2fc4.png

10 hours ago, jross said:

He is relatively good compared to how my untrained buddies 'boxed' in high school.  We put on the gloves and threw haymakers.  The smallest buddy took boxing lessons for a short while and lit us up.  My question isn't whether he is good.  My question is whether he pays the loser to dive.  I assume the fight is fixed based on the age and boxing skill of the opponent selected.  I don't think the loser is paid to lose.  Hence, the contact and fight is real.

image.png.83f1d5c7efe2a09b924b00ca442c2fc4.png

Very similar to the argument that occurs in high schools and bars throughout the country. Is Pro Wrestling real or fake?

It's fake because it isn't a 'real' competition between roughly evenly matched competitors who both are actually motivated to win. It's entertainment rather than competition, it's simply a show. But the athletics and contact are real - guys hurt themselves badly and occasionally die in the ring. Doesn't get much more real than that.

I suspect that argument will never be resolved.

Yes it is for entertainment, but all pro boxing matches are.   They are there also to make money.  If Paul pays them to take a fall, then this is not boxing, it is fixing.  But if not, they are boxing, although on a rudimentary basis.   And making bank doing so. 

mspart

6 hours ago, mspart said:

Yes it is for entertainment, but all pro boxing matches are.   They are there also to make money.  If Paul pays them to take a fall, then this is not boxing, it is fixing.  But if not, they are boxing, although on a rudimentary basis.   And making bank doing so. 

mspart

Consider that the crap so-called boxing match includes Paul paying them to "not win".

To be clear, not paying them to take a fall or purposely lose - just to not try very hard to win.

In the old days, things were simple. Win/lose. Succeed/fail. Plus/minus.

Now, winning and losing is all gray area. As you've said, the losers also win. And they win big.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 5:18 PM, mspart said:

He'd get killed with a real current pro boxer.   He knows it and that is why he steers clear of it.   He has made more than most fighters make as a living.   He's smart and using what he has to make money.   People want to pay to watch, then all the better for him.   He looked like he got a good right in on Silva to knock him down.  

mspart

Hey Art, long time no see!

Paul is a pretty good boxer. I think he'd do "okay" as a pro boxer, but nothing special. On the other hand, even an average pro boxer is a much better boxer than nearly anybody in MMA. Paul keeps challenging MMA guys, and not only that, but washed up past their prime MMA guys, to boxing matches. And he makes bank on every one of them. He's a brilliant self-promoter, no doubt about it. 

On 11/10/2022 at 12:42 AM, mspart said:

mspart

I don't think Paul is paying them to lose. They just aren't very good boxers, and he's better.