"Ancient" Anderson Silva beat by "dbag" Jake Paul

GreatWhiteNorth

On 11/26/2022 at 9:38 AM, TobusRex said:

I don't think Paul is paying them to lose. They just aren't very good boxers, and he's better. 

I’d agree that pretty much all of them  had very little skills in boxing prior to their fight with him.  And I’d also say he has improved a lot in his overall boxing ability even though it’s still subpar.  But who wouldn’t if you put that much money into decent trainers and actually did take it seriously since it’s becoming a huge pay day.  Not to mention he’s pretty smart about picking guys who are a few weights below him and way past  their consistent athletic training days.

The going story on his payments was that he was at least paying some of his early opponents to let the fight go to the late rounds so it would seems like a better show for the fans.  But when they haven’t been in full focused attacking mode for multiple rounds your opponents hasn’t taken much damage, isn’t worn down, and you haven’t been winning many rounds in the judges eyes.   Thus he still has an opportunity in the later rounds to find a solid KO punch or he’s still very in it for the judges decisions after peppering his opponent with basic shots since the opening rounds.  I can see that type of strategy getting him through several early fights where he wanted to build his name up but was while still very raw himself.

But I’d say the payments may have dried up or been through secret third parties as he’s done more professional fights.  That would be monitored a lot closer than his earlier exhibitions or small time events. Now he just has to keep picking opponents who have little boxing background and hope a decent coaching strategy can still work against them.  So far he’s mouthed off to several solid MMA strikers, but hasn’t fought any of them.  Silva was the next safest step up for him since he used to be a known MMA striker but Paul knows he never was a power puncher, he’s way past his athletic days, and his MMA success occurred at several weights below what they fought at.  

Woodly and Silva is about as much as he can risk without a lot more focused training and even then it’s be smart to steer clear of a long time trained pro boxer. 

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Fire 1