GOT MUSIC

MPhillips

Easy, boys.  I said a LITTLE.

My roommate had a stereo and we listened to the Brothers and Sisters record album all weekend studying for finals in '74.  This was playing for about 2 hours before he realized the record was skipping.  I was in the zone.

Don't worry for me
Well I'm all right
Lord knows I"m having,
A natural good time,
Pocket full of money
Gonna boogie all night;
There ain't nobody tell me that's crime

For me, Pony Boy and Maxwell's Equations are inseparable.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

I always draw gasp when I say this,  but I was never a big Duane era fan.  I'm way more into Betts and Greg Alllman. 

I was too young to appreciate the Allmans when they were doing their thing with Duane.   What work of Duane's I've heard, I would have to say he went away much too young and had so much more to offer.   He was a brilliant guitar player.  His work is so melodic and fits into whatever anyone else is playing.   So my appreciation has grown over time.   What awesome gigs to have gone to.

mspart

46 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Easy, boys.  I said a LITTLE.

My roommate had a stereo and we listened to the Brothers and Sisters record album all weekend studying for finals in '74.  This was playing for about 2 hours before he realized the record was skipping.  I was in the zone.

Don't worry for me
Well I'm all right
Lord knows I"m having,
A natural good time,
Pocket full of money
Gonna boogie all night;
There ain't nobody tell me that's crime

For me, Pony Boy and Maxwell's Equations are inseparable.

LOL! My favorite studio album of theirs.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

25 minutes ago, mspart said:

I was too young to appreciate the Allmans when they were doing their thing with Duane.   What work of Duane's I've heard, I would have to say he went away much too young and had so much more to offer.   He was a brilliant guitar player.  His work is so melodic and fits into whatever anyone else is playing.   So my appreciation has grown over time.   What awesome gigs to have gone to.

mspart

I agree that his playing was outstanding, especially his slide work.  I just like the "country" sound of his guitar tone.

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, mspart said:

mspart

I remember you talking about playing even years ago when I could still post on The Open (Closed) Mat, but how long have you played guitar?

No single song to offer for now,  but If the first time I've ever heard this was tonight  I wouldn't believe that such an album could be possible.  It's such a masterpiece. 

image.png.3b9059492517d7b4a5b0f901831d7f64.png

Edited by Ban Basketball
  • Fire 1

On 12/14/2022 at 3:24 PM, Ban Basketball said:

I remember you talking about playing even years ago when I could still post on The Open (Closed) Mat, but how long have you played guitar?

I've played for about 40+ years.   Off and on.   Playing more now than when the kids were at home.   I did some home recordings that came out ok. 

But I am not that good, just like in wrestling.  I love wrestling, but never made it to state.   Almost did as a sophomore in HS, got Russian Flu as a Junior that took me out, and hyper-extended my elbow as a senior.  As a result of the last, I was able to complete my Eagle Scout project and finished that all up.   So some good came out of it.  Both mishaps occurred in Dec or Jan Jan and States were Feb.   Now I think I would have gone as a Senior for sure, and might have placed but even so, my wrestling career was not stellar.  But I was a volunteer wrestling coach to HS's wherever I've lived for about 40 years.   So there is something that really gets to me about wrestling. 

Same with guitar.   I wish I was good, but I am not.   But I now have the equipment I have wanted.   Les Paul guitar, speaker cabinet and amplifier head.   I have fun with it still.   Learning new stuff keeps it all fresh.   I am improving all the time but progress is not quick.   I am a great fan of David Gilmour, who does not play fast (I cannot) but says so much with what he puts out there.  Thanks for asking. 

mspart

• Fire 3

Yesterday,  I saw a dozen forever wrestling buds and coach at a RIP father’s celebration of life.  I missed my daughter’s wrestling matches.  She won both and is slightly less clueless.  She is making friends and might join the dive team. #LifeBeyondGymnastics.  I helped her with a software design class for her final?  Guess how late we were up?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mspart said:

I've played for about 40+ years.   Off and on. 

About 25 for me. I got a late start. I'm not a guitar player. I just play a guitar. Although I have about seven. Lolol.

I'm a campfire guitar player. I know about 500 'half' songs. :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, mspart said:

I've played for about 40+ years.   Off and on.   Playing more now than when the kids were at home.   I did some home recordings that came out ok. 

But I am not that good, just like in wrestling.  I love wrestling, but never made it to state.   Almost did as a sophomore in HS, got Russian Flu as a Junior that took me out, and hyper-extended my elbow as a senior.  As a result of the last, I was able to complete my Eagle Scout project and finished that all up.   So some good came out of it.  Both mishaps occurred in Dec or Jan Jan and States were Feb.   Now I think I would have gone as a Senior for sure, and might have placed but even so, my wrestling career was not stellar.  But I was a volunteer wrestling coach to HS's wherever I've lived for about 40 years.   So there is something that really gets to me about wrestling. 

Same with guitar.   I wish I was good, but I am not.   But I now have the equipment I have wanted.   Les Paul guitar, speaker cabinet and amplifier head.   I have fun with it still.   Learning new stuff keeps it all fresh.   I am improving all the time but progress is not quick.   I am a great fan of David Gilmour, who does not play fast (I cannot) but says so much with what he puts out there.  Thanks for asking. 

mspart

I ask because I've decided to take on playing the banjo at the ripe old age of 56, as a COVID hobby. I've had it two years,  but didn't decide to commit until just over a year ago by taking lessons through a folk school in Kentucky,  which I'm still doing.  So,  I've actually been playing for just over a year,  but I'm improving a lot. 

Weird you say that about Gilmour. He's a guitar hero/God of mine too, and I've always noticed that about him.  He's not fast,  but he also never misses, nor is he off. There's a lot to be said for that.  Fast is too often just for show. 

I'll keep sharing my music journey. 

3 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

There's a feller who has lived a full life.  I'm amazed by the things he's done and the songs he's written.  I saw Hoyt Axton sing this song once, great version, but could find nothing on YT.  Here's a last-minute replacement.

I love Hoyt Axton. I have this great album of a benefit concert that he played at and he was drunk as a skunk on wine. 

His ramblings in between his two songs were worth the album price. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

About 25 for me. I got a late start. I'm not a guitar player. I just play a guitar. Although I have about seven. Lolol.

I'm a campfire guitar player. I know about 500 'half' songs. :classic_laugh:

Cool.  I'm a campfire guitar listener.  If I could play any instrument, it would be a harmonica.  I always thought it would be cool to be able to just pull it out of your pocket and start playing wherever.  Alas, I have less than zero musical ability, although I enjoy listening.  I have the rhythm of Steve Martin in The Jerk.   I'm also fascinated by music's effect on people, and also by the Mathematics of Music.  Music Theory is the only mathematics that left me scratching my head.
Here's a little good advice from Roger Miller.  "You can't (xxx), but you can be happy if you've a mind to."

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Guitar, but I plunk around on the banjo sometimes.

Cool.  Just saw your "guitar post" above.