GOT MUSIC

MPhillips

7 hours ago, MPhillips said:

That's killer! I've always known that I need to listen to them,  especially being someone who (tries to) plays the banjo. 

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

50 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Seen them a few times. The drive they create without any drums is pretty outrageous.

My wife and I wandered into a bar/pub in Bloomsburg, PA to get a late supper about 5 years ago.  These guys started playing and the windows were rattling, the glasses and plates were rattling, even the fillings in my teeth were rattling.  I don't know what a defibrillator feels like cranked all the way up, but I'm thinking this was about it.  Drive was the exact word that I thought of that night.  I honestly could feel the bass like it was in my chest, both the strings and him pounding on the body.  You really get no feeling from this video, but...

• Fire 3

21 hours ago, jross said:

12-bar blues 

You'd probably like this girl. My wife and I have seen her a few times.   One time was in an old converted church in Oxford,  NY (hometown of JP O'Connor).  We were in the front pew, honestly. She is an amazing guitarist and singer and the drummer here, Go Go Ray is the real deal.  The church was right in the middle of town, houses all around and she played till midnight. I wondered what the neighbors thought. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Tyler Childers...

The rhythm and flow were great.  I listened to it several times and then paid attention to the lyrics.  The song seemed to be about having fun and partying.  I noticed some drugs in the lyrics and went and looked this up.  The song is based on what his exaggerating story-telling co-worker used to tell him on the ride to work.  

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, jross said:

The rhythm and flow were great.  I listened to it several times and then paid attention to the lyrics.  The song seemed to be about having fun and partying.  I noticed some drugs in the lyrics and went and looked this up.  The song is based on what his exaggerating story-telling co-worker used to tell him on the ride to work.  

Really?! I didn't know it was specifically about a drugging braggert co-worker! Makes the song funny now!

I was on a Childers binge last night,  so that's why it's there.  His new album is wild and gutsy!

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...

I love that version,  and the movie even more.  This video was "digitized,' but it looks cool. 

51 minutes ago, jross said:

When you see your god-daughter hit a move for the pin.  Which move?

Cool story about your god-daughter.

I like the line :

"Makin' my rounds all over town
Puttin' out old flames"

I'm generally not a big fan of country music, but they definitely have the catchiest or most insightful lyrics.  Sometimes funny, sometimes tear-jerking.  Also sometimes great instrumentals.  There were good guitar and fiddle in this around the middle of the song.  Very short though.  

1 hour ago, jross said:

When you see your god-daughter hit a move for the pin.  Which move?

Congrats,  man! 

I'm kind of a " story behind the story" person,  so feel free to clue us in. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

2 hours ago, jross said:

When you see your god-daughter hit a move for the pin.

Thanks. Just good, honest stuff right there. Fun.

Well they call me the fireman...Strait is one of the last, "real country" artist left and a favorite. There are some younger artist (one mentioned above) that  are carrying the, "proverbial" torch. 

Edited by MPhillips

In other news, my house's gymnast joined the high school wrestling club, and I don't know what to do with my hands.  

nervous will ferrell GIF

She could have the best grip strength of many girls her age, but this grasshopper knows little of technique and conditioning. A handful of practices and she was thrown to the varsity wolves in a tournament.  The first match was nerve-wracking but her smile is fantastic!  She doesn't know the scoring system but hasn't given up back points.  She is 3-3 with 3 pins.  What pinning move do you ask?  The ol' half---

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, jross said:

She could have the best grip strength of many girls her age, but this grasshopper knows little of technique and conditioning. A handful of practices and she was thrown to the varsity wolves in a tournament.  The first match was nerve-wracking but her smile is fantastic!  She doesn't know the scoring system but hasn't given up back points.  She is 3-3 with 3 pins.  What pinning move do you ask?  The ol' half---

:classic_smile:

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, jross said:

In other news, my house's gymnast joined the high school wrestling club, and I don't know what to do with my hands.  

Great for her getting into wrestling.  It will have a lot of benefits, some you may not realize now.  What do you do with your hands?  Sit on them!  I'll give you a little something else to think about...
Both of my daughters grew up long before girls wrestling became popular, but I always wrestled and played with them from the time they were tykes until they went away to college.  Looking back, I've always been amazed that one of them or my son or me didn't fall wrong and break something.  The older daughter played a lot of softball and the younger one was a distance swimmer.  Both also took a few years of taekwondo.  I'm very proud that I raised them to be mentally and physically strong.  I worried a lot less when they went to college that they could get attacked and physically overpowered by a young man.  The young man would have no idea what he was in for.  Once they got a little older, I taught them that you don't play fair in those situations, nothing is off limits.
The downside of this was that a few times they hurt me real bad.  I still remember when the older one was maybe 2 or 3 years old, she wound up and out of the blue walloped me in the belly in a store or somewhere with a lot of other people.  Only problem is she was about a foot low.  Everybody but me thought it was hilarious.  One time when the younger daughter was about 15 we were riding in an elevator somewhere and I started to pick on her pretending to box.  She just ignored me so I relaxed and she punched me on that bone in your upper arm where all the muscles come together.  I was actually black and blue for over a month.  I didn't do that again.

• Fire 1