GOT MUSIC

MPhillips

Just now, MPhillips said:

It is, it is.  It was one of the first videos I remember someone posting way back in the beginnings of FB.

The Heart tribute to Zep was cool. Is this the one with Plant in the balcony?

Yes.
The guest list is crazy for that show.

The chorus, the orchestra, the violins...

On 12/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, Mike Parrish said:

A gift from Finland

Didn't see this until now.  Curiously,  I love Steve N Seagulls.

Being someone who tries to play the banjo,  I always like to hear other players out there. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

15 minutes ago, Theo Brixton said:

How about this one, guys? 

That's killer! As a lifelong Zappa fan,  when I saw Dweezil's band do the complete Roxy and Elsewhere album it was the single best band I've ever seen in my life.  

Musically,  that is. 

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

That's killer! As a lifelong Zappa fan,  when I saw Dweezil's band do the complete Roxy and Elsewhere album it was the single best band I've ever seen in my life.  

Musically,  that is. 

Few have the balls and fewer the bona fides to criticize Zappa's music but John McLaughlin was one of them: "He (Zappa) was a very good musician but he was a dictator in his band, I’m sorry to say. Plus, he was not only a dictator, but he was taking very long guitar solos. 10-15 minute guitar solos and really he should have taken 2 or 3 minute guitar solos, because they were a little bit boring".

Hard to beat the musicality of this trio:

This is probably my favorite song from the group but the whole album, Friday Night in San Francisco, is fantastic.

5 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Being someone who tries to play the banjo

5 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

I have a soft spot for a guy doing an accordion solo in an ACDC cover.

5 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

And, showing up on a riding mower wearing a coontail cap.

Sounds like you boys need to come to, 'The Farm' for a weekend.

And bring Mr. Pragle with ya...

Edited by MPhillips
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Sounds like you boys need to come to, 'The Farm' for a weekend.

And bring Mr. Pragle with ya...

Well,  if you're in Ohio, The Farm could be interpreted as the Fur Peace Ranch, which is a haven for folk music. 

1 hour ago, Theo Brixton said:

Few have the balls and fewer the bona fides to criticize Zappa's music but John McLaughlin was one of them: "He (Zappa) was a very good musician but he was a dictator in his band, I’m sorry to say. Plus, he was not only a dictator, but he was taking very long guitar solos. 10-15 minute guitar solos and really he should have taken 2 or 3 minute guitar solos, because they were a little bit boring".

Hard to beat the musicality of this trio:

This is probably my favorite song from the group but the whole album, Friday Night in San Francisco, is fantastic.

I was just talking about some of that this weekend.  Mainly,  that Zappa was a dictator,  and even a manipulator. His " comedy routines" were very often at the expense of band members, whom he essentially manipulated for comedic "benefit. "

I may differ a bit with the length of some of his solos.  When he was on,  I couldn't get enough of his guitar. 

I'll give these videos a listen.  I know their names but not sure I've heard them all together. 

Now,  onto some banjo practice!

Edited by Ban Basketball

26 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Here's a dad bringin em up right.  Having fun and a good lesson.

Dang!  That's great!  Great Canned Heat song,  and his kids play perfectly right along! I'm impressed. 

32 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Well, I've seen Jorma a couple times and Jack & Jorma so you may have interpreted that correctly.

Saw Hot Tuna, acoustic only,  in Iowa City a few years back.  Kind of sucks because I've been a fan for a long time but haven't seen them any more than that one time. 

• Fire 1

Just now, Ban Basketball said:

Saw Hot Tuna, acoustic only,  in Iowa City a few years back.  Kind of sucks because I've been a fan for a long time but haven't seen them any more than that one time. 

Jorma is in my backyard and Jack has visited a few times.

22 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Jorma is in my backyard and Jack has visited a few times.

Not sure how to take that.  Literally?