Kyle burwikk

jajensen09

25 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Screenshot_20221209-151749_Twitter.jpg

That's some pretty good support for your contentions. But I am not very big into Twitter, etc., can you provide a little background as to who "Inside Nebraska" is? Are they affiliated with the university or something? Thanks in advance.

33 minutes ago, npope said:

That's some pretty good support for your contentions. But I am not very big into Twitter, etc., can you provide a little background as to who "Inside Nebraska" is? Are they affiliated with the university or something? Thanks in advance.

It is affiliated with nebraska. It was said after the ndsu first dual of the year.  It's an insiders page. https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/three-takeaways-from-north-dakota-state-s-upset-over-no-14-nebraska

Where is anyone providing specific information about the post May 1 portal entry waiver process (roles and expectations) among transferring-to school, NCAA, and transferring-from school (if any)?

I don't see a role in the rule for the transferring-from school.

It is easy to assume and ascribe ill-intent to Wisconsin, if the goal is to disparage the University a la negative recruiting.

I just haven't bought in the that line of thinking.  What is needed are specifics not generalities to shed light on the current state of the situation.

If Wisconsin found out they had no further role, then Manning indicating Wisconsin's saying they're doing everything in Kyle's best interest is a fallacy, then that statement could be seen in a different light.  Wisconsin may think they did all they could by admitting they didn't inform their athletes.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

According to 24/7 Sports waivers:

"The NCAA grants waivers for immediate eligibility for a variety of reasons, almost all of which center around an athlete being forced to transfer for reasons outside of their control. Common assertions in waiver appeals include a player’s mental health, a player was run-off, a player left due to egregious behavior or a player who needs to move closer to home because of a sick family member."

Kyle's waiver could've asserted Bono ran him off thru Lamont's arrival, as the primary exception claim.  Bono may reasonably be unwilling to characterize things that way, in the interest of his program and consideration of potential negative recruiting.  Bono could claim Kyle's scholarship was being honored and he could've stayed and compete for the starting position.

Alas, now it seems to have devolved into a frustrating situation for Kyle and Nebraska.

55 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

"The NCAA grants waivers for immediate eligibility for a variety of reasons, almost all of which center around an athlete being forced to transfer for reasons outside of their control. Common assertions in waiver appeals include a player’s mental health, a player was run-off, a player left due to egregious behavior or a player who needs to move closer to home because of a sick family member."

Kyle's waiver could've asserted Bono ran him off thru Lamont's arrival, as the primary exception claim.  Bono may reasonably be unwilling to characterize things that way, in the interest of his program and consideration of potential negative recruiting.  Bono could claim Kyle's scholarship was being honored and he could've stayed and compete for the starting position.

Alas, now it seems to have devolved into a frustrating situation for Kyle and Nebraska.

How can one have a scholarship at another school and then go wrestle off at another school??

1 hour ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

All sources say Wisconsin just has to sign off,  which makes sense. If it was the Ncaa manning and Snyder wouldn't say Wisconsin is holding it back. Really giving Wisconsin a bad look

1 minute ago, jajensen09 said:

All sources say Wisconsin just has to sign off,  which makes sense. If it was the Ncaa manning and Snyder wouldn't say Wisconsin is holding it back. Really giving Wisconsin a bad look

Yeah I’m sure potential recruits will see this and think Bono could give them a hard time if they end up entering the portal 

• Fire 2

56 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

How can one have a scholarship at another school and then go wrestle off at another school?

One may be removed from scholarship once they enter the portal, but that is at the transferring-from school's discretion.  Of course one can't maintain their original scholarship after they transfer.

Do you know for a fact Bono and Wisconsin AD withdrew Burwick's scholarship upon learning he entered the portal after May 1?

I've seen nothing that claimed that.

22 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

One may be removed from scholarship once they enter the portal, but that is at the transferring-from school's discretion.  Of course one can't maintain their original scholarship after they transfer.

Do you know for a fact Bono and Wisconsin AD withdrew Burwick's scholarship upon learning he entered the portal after May 1?

I've seen nothing that claimed that.

Yeah,  I think it's a safe bet that when he went to the portal that they withdrew the scholarship. It's not announced... it's pretty much a given... so you probably aren't going see any announcement.  Why would they keep him on scholarship for the next year if he were leaving the program? 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Why would they keep him on scholarship for the next year if he were leaving the program? 

If they didn't want him to leave the program.  Plenty have entered the portal and stayed at their current school.  Sure after he leaves the school, that's a different matter.

The problem is he entered after May 1 and waivers are looking for some exception hardship.  Not being informed about the May 1st date may not cut it.

Bono and the Wisconsin AD may be disputing the circumstances documented in whatever waiver exception that Nebraska sent to the NCAA on Kyle's behalf (assuming they are involved like if the NCAA asked them to confirm). They might do so in the interest of their own integrity and what they believe is in the best interest of the Wisconsin wrestling program.

2 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

If they didn't want him to leave the program.  Plenty have entered the portal and stayed at their current school.  Sure after he leaves the school, that's a different matter.

The problem is he entered after May 1 and waivers are looking for some exception hardship.  Not being informed about the May 1st date may not cut it.

Bono and the Wisconsin AD may be disputing the circumstances documented in whatever waiver exception that Nebraska sent to the NCAA on Kyle's behalf (assuming they are involved like if the NCAA asked them to confirm). They might do so in the interest of their own integrity and what they believe is in the best interest of the Wisconsin wrestling program.

The only reason they don't want to sign off is incase he comes back and beats Lamont. They don't want him to stay in the b1g 10. Simple as that. Muddy up the water however you want. Wisconsin needs to sign off 

3 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

False.  The only official source (Wisconsin Athletic Department) says the contrary.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

4 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

False. 2 sources recent as these last few days say that Wisconsin sent out a line of bs,  they still aren't signing off

You said all sources.  The Wisconsin Athletic Department released an official statement.  Reading comprehension…

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

22 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

And manning debunked that source. Saying it was all bs and Wisconsin is not signing off 

When did he and the university officially say that?  We do seem to have an official dated statement from Wisconsin altough I'm skeptical of anything that comes via Twitter.   Did he say "bs" or use the full 4 letter words?

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

When did he and the university officially say that?  We do seem to have an official dated statement from Wisconsin altough I'm skeptical of anything that comes via Twitter.   Did he say "bs" or use the full 4 letter words?

He said it the same day as the north dakota state dual. Also during the cliff keen tournament 

Edited by jajensen09
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, jchapman said:

False.  The only official source (Wisconsin Athletic Department) says the contrary.

The Wisconsin statement doesn’t say anything about signing the release/waiver or whatever.  As @npope said, it appears to be carefully worded with just vague statements that they’ve “supported” him and “worked with” Nebraska.  It seems the decision technically is in the hands of the NCAA, but that they could influence/possibly confirm the decision by signing the release/waiver

• Fire 1

A couple of things that would seem to be evident to me:

1. Burwick's eligibility this year does not rest with the UW signing some paper - this is a matter solely in the hands of the NCAA regardless of what the Badgers want or don't want (the kid is not enrolled at the UW, he is no longer on scholarship at the UW - assuming he was at one point, etc.). So, people saying that the UW needs to sign something before Burwick is free is most likely erroneous - this is obviously an NCAA issue. The fact that some attribute this statement to Manning makes me 1) doubt those posters' familiarity with the situation and/or 2) think that Manning might be a pumpkin - he should know better than to make such a simplistic statement...if he ever did. Would still love to see the explicit quote from Manning on the matter rather than secondhand references. That said, I don't expect posters to spend all sorts of crazy time trying to dig out some statement that may never have been documented to begin with, even if Manning might have indeed said it. 
  2. I cannot believe Bono really cares whether Burwick is in Nebraska's line up at any time this year; the PR damage associated with trying to block Burwick's release is far greater than any negatives that would be associated with Burwick possibly beating Lamont at some point during the season. I can't believe fear of a Burwick win is driving any of this.
  3. When the UW athletic department took the opportunity to publicly address the matter it provided a clumsy statement that appeared as if the UW lawyers drew it up to provide as little substantive details as possible - damned by simple omissions that could have put the whole thing to rest.

Last, I sure hope Burwick gets his chance to wrestle this year - the sooner the better...and I will eagerly be awaiting the UW-UN dual 😉 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Where is anyone providing specific information about the post May 1 portal entry waiver process (roles and expectations) among transferring-to school, NCAA, and transferring-from school (if any)?

I don't see a role in the rule for the transferring-from school.

It is easy to assume and ascribe ill-intent to Wisconsin, if the goal is to disparage the University a la negative recruiting.

I just haven't bought in the that line of thinking.  What is needed are specifics not generalities to shed light on the current state of the situation.

If Wisconsin found out they had no further role, then Manning indicating Wisconsin's saying they're doing everything in Kyle's best interest is a fallacy, then that statement could be seen in a different light.  Wisconsin may think they did all they could by admitting they didn't inform their athletes.

As I understand, the May 1st date was for a 1st school transfer providing immediate eligibility WITHOUT a release from your previous school.  After May 1, an athlete needs a release or an appeal to be approved from the NCAA to avoid a redshirt.  I'm guessing, but have no proof that W never gave him a release.

People mentioned scholarships.  I don't know how those enter into things but IIRC, an athlete not on scholarship doesn't need a release.  Since teams get 9.9 scholarships, effectively one per weight I'd assume W had to give Lamont a full ride to get him to sign, unless they get NIL money instead.  Kyle could not have had much scholarship $ assigned to him for the upcoming season.  

• Fire 1