Kyle burwikk

jajensen09

1 hour ago, npope said:

A couple of things that would seem to be evident to me:

1. Burwick's eligibility this year does not rest with the UW signing some paper - this is a matter solely in the hands of the NCAA regardless of what the Badgers want or don't want (the kid is not enrolled at the UW, he is no longer on scholarship at the UW - assuming he was at one point, etc.). So, people saying that the UW needs to sign something before Burwick is free is most likely erroneous - this is obviously an NCAA issue. The fact that some attribute this statement to Manning makes me 1) doubt those posters' familiarity with the situation and/or 2) think that Manning might be a pumpkin - he should know better than to make such a simplistic statement...if he ever did. Would still love to see the explicit quote from Manning on the matter rather than secondhand references. That said, I don't expect posters to spend all sorts of crazy time trying to dig out some statement that may never have been documented to begin with, even if Manning might have indeed said it. 
  2. I cannot believe Bono really cares whether Burwick is in Nebraska's line up at any time this year; the PR damage associated with trying to block Burwick's release is far greater than any negatives that would be associated with Burwick possibly beating Lamont at some point during the season. I can't believe fear of a Burwick win is driving any of this.
  3. When the UW athletic department took the opportunity to publicly address the matter it provided a clumsy statement that appeared as if the UW lawyers drew it up to provide as little substantive details as possible - damned by simple omissions that could have put the whole thing to rest.

Last, I sure hope Burwick gets his chance to wrestle this year - the sooner the better...and I will eagerly be awaiting the UW-UN dual 😉 

Manning has said on 2 occasions that Wisconsin is NOT signing off!!! That statement that Wisconsin sent out was bogus! There's no reason for Manning to lie and tons of reasons to lie for Bono. It has even been proven as of a few days ago, Wisconsin has to sign 1 paper and burwick is good to go. Bono doesn't want to release him

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

If they didn't want him to leave the program.  Plenty have entered the portal and stayed at their current school.  Sure after he leaves the school, that's a different matter.

The problem is he entered after May 1 and waivers are looking for some exception hardship.  Not being informed about the May 1st date may not cut it.

Bono and the Wisconsin AD may be disputing the circumstances documented in whatever waiver exception that Nebraska sent to the NCAA on Kyle's behalf (assuming they are involved like if the NCAA asked them to confirm). They might do so in the interest of their own integrity and what they believe is in the best interest of the Wisconsin wrestling program.

He had already been considering transferring from Wisconsin after the NCAA.... He was notified May 23rd of the LaMont transfer. He went in the portal that week. He met with the coaches two weeks later. He was NOT coming back - It was very clear - They were not going to keep a guy on scholarship who went in the portal and then met with them to tell them he is not going back.  As a side note, coaches can still "not" release a wrestler to another school - it happened just last year to a prominent transfer and he sat the first semester. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

11 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Manning has said on 2 occasions that Wisconsin is NOT signing off!!! That statement that Wisconsin sent out was bogus! There's no reason for Manning to lie and tons of reasons to lie for Bono. It has even been proven as of a few days ago, Wisconsin has to sign 1 paper and burwick is good to go. Bono doesn't want to release him

Funny how Burwick, his dad, Nebraska and wrestling media are all saying the same thing, but Wisconsin has been silent other than some vague comment. Yet, people still want to defend Wisconsin with lots of "if's"  and "Maybe's".  

• Fire 2

45 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Funny how Burwick, his dad, Nebraska and wrestling media are all saying the same thing, but Wisconsin has been silent other than some vague comment. Yet, people still want to defend Wisconsin with lots of "if's"  and "Maybe's".  

IDK: think what some are pointing out is that WI has made an official statement and if official then thus the university is all saying the same thing.  Apparently they have not changed their position.   On the other side we hear reports of what the dad said, the coach's wife said, maybe the coach said but nothing official and all those rumored statement come from a position of bias.  

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

IDK: think what some are pointing out is that WI has made an official statement and if official then thus the university is all saying the same thing.  Apparently they have not changed their position.   On the other side we hear reports of what the dad said, the coach's wife said, maybe the coach said but nothing official and all those rumored statement come from a position of bias.  

The nebraska statements are far from rumors

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Exactly! People on here that are saying Wisconsin has nothing to do with it aren't paying attention to the entire situation nor listening to multiple reports that Wisconsin hasn't signed off on him, which Wisconsin hasn't denied!

But those multiple reports all seem to trace back to one source - Manning (maybe, if second hand information is to be believed - still haven't seen it in the news). 

And too, one thing that you have failed to address is any possible rationale as to why the UW program would be willing to take such a big PR hit on this situation where, by most all accounts, the UW made an upgrade. Why in the world would the UW make a stink of it when there is not really much of anything to be gained?

So, while I can understand how you think some pieces line up to support your position, there are some big gaps in the potential motivation for UW to do anything other than to say "Good luck, Kyle!" 

Edited by npope
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, npope said:

But those multiple reports all seem to trace back to one source - Manning (maybe, if second hand information is to be believed - still haven't seen it in the news). 

And too, one thing that you have failed to address is any possible rationale as to why the UW program would be willing to take such a big PR hit on this situation where, by most all accounts, the UW made an upgrade. Why in the world would the UW make a stink of it when there is not really much of anything to be gained?

So, while I can understand how you think some pieces line up to support your position, there are some big gaps in the potential motivation for UW to do anything other than to say "Good luck, Kyle!" 

There is an article where manning was quoted on husker rivals. Straight from his mouth. Of course Wisconsin doesn't want to release. If he wrestles Lamont and beats him, doesn't that look like bad coaching on the Wisconsins coach part, absolutely!

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

There is an article where manning was quoted on husker rivals. Straight from his mouth. Of course Wisconsin doesn't want to release. If he wrestles Lamont and beats him, doesn't that look like bad coaching on the Wisconsins coach part, absolutely!

reference link?

9 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

I think you put too much stock and significance into the match results of a couple of relatively average (for the BIG Ten) wrestlers. I am sure that Bono and crew have much, much bigger fish to fry than worrying about a possible loss in a relatively meaningless matchup. That said, if indeed you are right that Bono is hung up on Burwick's transfer then I think Bono should see a psychoanalyst - would definitely reflect some screwed up priorities. 

Edited by npope

17 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Nebraska rivals 

Screenshot_20221209-151749_Twitter.jpg

Yeah but do you have a sit down interview with Manning, complete with DNA test that it is indeed him, where he states, with closed captioning,  that in fact, Wisconsin is not working on the best behalf of Kyle Burwick? Furthermore, does Manning define what "best behalf" means? 

Haha... I was about to post this.... then ionel ....

EDIT: P.S. Mark Manning has retweeted the Burwick tweets about the situation. Isn't that a indication of agreement on Manning's part with Burwick's situation? 

Edited by Idaho

Can someone find a rule on portal transfers that says the transferring-from school needs to provide a release?

I looked but couldn't find one.  The only 'releases' I've seen is from NLIs and 90-days for contact of someone in the portal.

5 hours ago, Idaho said:

He had already been considering transferring from Wisconsin after the NCAA

If this is true, then it would appear to undercut any claim that Kyle's transfer was motivated by a looming replacement by Taylor Lamont. Taylor Lamont's arrival could even be a contingency action by Bono.  Furthermore, if true, then Kyle's exception to obtain a waiver would seem to need to be based on his earlier considerations toward transferring.

I don't really doubt Manning said the quote.  I do doubt that its meaning is clear and reflects a reasonable action Bono and the Wisconsin AD could take on Kyle's behalf.

The amount of silence from Nebraska representatives since that quote could be seen as perhaps some recognition of originally barking up the wrong tree or howling at the moon.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

On 12/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Husker_Du said:

he's not been released.

i was sent a form today with the message 'all they have to do is sign this paper and it's done'

On 12/7/2022 at 8:40 PM, jajensen09 said:

Released by Wisconsin or the ncaa? Who needs to sign off

(I saw no answer.)

On 12/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, Idaho said:

How about Willie @Husker_Du confirming the same thing in this very thread? 

What did @Husker_Du confirm?

Who is 'they'?

What is written on 'the form/paper?'

Who created the form and for what purpose is it being 'signed?'

For all I know, 'they' is the NCAA, and the paper is Kyle's exception documentation to obtain a waiver.

Just maybe Askren assumed the 'they' was Wisconsin.  And just maybe @Husker_Du enjoys making Flo personalities look like asshats.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1