Emperor's Cup All-Japan Championships

Mike Parrish

I can understand why Nanami did just because she lost to Okuno not too long ago right before U23, been destroyed by Shidochi and has literally never been close to beating Fujinami.

That would be like if Dom had a sister that was also a medal contender, but went into senior nationals at the same weight. 

1 minute ago, CA_Wrestler said:

I can understand why Nanami did just because she lost to Okuno not too long ago right before U23, been destroyed by Shidochi and has literally never been close to beating Fujinami.

That would be like if Dom had a sister that was also a medal contender, but went into senior nationals at the same weight. 

The Fulp-Allen sisters would like a word...

• Fire 1

Just now, Mike Parrish said:

Why not make this change next year?

The same wrestler has to win the Emperor's Cup AND the Meiji Cup to be the rep at whatever weight.  All of the best wrestlers are going for the Olympic weights.  if the same person doesn't win both, there will be a playoff between the winner of each tournament for the world team spot.

55kg- Kiyooka(2022 U23 55kg gold, 2022 U20 55kg gold) wins in a close match, 2-0

65kg- Mahiro Yoshitake(2022 U20 65kg gold) wins in a close match, 5-3

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the 68kg and 76kg finals didn't take place yet.  I quickly scrubbed through the video on mat A of the finals and didn't see the matches.

Finals

68kg- Ishii(2022 senior world silver) vs Morikawa(2021 65kg senior world silver, 2022 65kg senior world gold).  

76kg- Yamamoto(2019 U17 73kg bronze, also competed at the World Cup in Iowa at 76kg) vs Moro(17 years old, 2022 U20 76kg gold)

Susaki with a quick tech over Nakamura, former 2016 U20 WC

Umi Ito about to tech another high schooler who is entered.

Both are on the same side of the bracket as Nanami Irie.

Yuki is on the same side as Remina Yoshimoto and Hanano Sakurai(Tsugumi's sister)

Edited by CA_Wrestler

50kg- Hanano Sakurai shockingly, completely outwrestles Yuki Tanaka(Irie) and wins 7-0, then loses in the semis to Yoshimoto by tech.  Susaki completely dominates Nanami Irie in neutral/mat wrestling by tech(worse than the times she's lost to Fujinami) and sets up another Susaki vs Yoshimoto match in the finals.

57kg- In a result I'm not shocked by, Sae Nanjo squeaked by Tsugumi Sakurai, 5-4.  When Sakurai had beaten Nanjo earlier this year, it was by a td right at the buzzer.  That sets up a teammate vs teammate match in the finals vs Sara Natami.  Nanjo looked really, really sharp.

59kg- Risako beats good friend and club teammate, Akie Hanai in the semis then wins the weight in a close match against Metro Police Officer, Sakano(competed at the World Cup).  Didn't look in top form yet.

68kg- Ishii beats Morikawa 5-2 in the finals.

72kg- Niikura won in a close match.

In mens fs.....completely surprised by Rei Higuchi teching Yuki Takahashi at 57kg.  All of their past matches have been razor thin.

Edited by CA_Wrestler

Forgot about 76kg.  17 year old Ayano Moro(2022 U20 world champion) beat Yamamoto(20yrs old, 2022 national collegiate champion at 76kg) in the 76kg finals, 4-3.  Moro hasn't lost within Japan since the 2017 Jr HS national championships, where she place 2nd.

However, I do think that when Kagami is back healthy, she'll win the Meiji Cup next year and win the playoff match.

53kg is going to be insane.

6 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Forgot about 76kg.  17 year old Ayano Moro(2022 U20 world champion) beat Yamamoto(20yrs old, 2022 national collegiate champion at 76kg) in the 76kg finals, 4-3.  Moro hasn't lost within Japan since the 2017 Jr HS national championships, where she place 2nd.

However, I do think that when Kagami is back healthy, she'll win the Meiji Cup next year and win the playoff match.

53kg is going to be insane.

I missed yesterday's sessions and then scrolled through the videos looking for interesting matches.

I won't miss today's.

What's your prediction for 53s?

I'm going with Mayu Shidochi.