2022 Ironman Tournament

RandolphTJones

7 hours ago, RandolphTJones said:

The #1 high school wrestling tournament begins this Friday. According to Josh Lowe's rankings, 6 of the top 10 high school teams will be there amongst several others in the top 50. Any particular matchups you are hoping to see? 

Stilwater, Edmond North and Bixby will be coming from Oklahoma. Stillwater is LOADED with talent. 113 Beric Jordan, 120 Sam Smith, 138 Cael Hughes (maybe 132) JJ Mcomas 126 or 132, Dee Lockett, Voinavhich, AJ Heeg, there will be some hammers.  EN will have Routledge, Schneider, Hollingsworth

Bixby- Giddens, Jersey Robb

All 3 teams are ranked, I think Stilly is #3? They are loaded, if Ferrari was there they would push for top team in the country imo

• Fire 1

Half of the top 50 are scheduled to be at Ironman. 💪

No. 1 Blair Academy (N.J.)
No. 2 Wyoming Seminary (Pa.)
No. 3 Stillwater (Okla.)
No. 5 St. Edward (Ohio)
No. 6 Crown Point (Ind.)
No. 8 Malvern Prep (Pa.)
No. 12 Edmond North (Okla.)
No. 13 Lake Highland Prep (Fla.)
No. 15 Brecksville (Ohio)
No. 16 Perrysburg (Ohio)
No. 17 Bixby (Okla.)
No. 18 Bethlehem Catholic (Pa.)
No. 19 Marmion Academy (Ill.)
No. 22 Liberty (Mo.)
No. 23 Chicago (Ill.) Mt. Carmel
No. 27 Wadsworth (Ohio)
No. 28 Minisink Valley (N.Y.)
No. 30 Brownsburg (Ind.)
No. 32 St. Charles East (Ill.)
No. 36 Marist (Ill.)
No. 37 Waynesburg (Pa.)
No. 41 Pomona (Colo.)
No. 43 Massillon Perry (Ohio)
No. 44 Ponderosa (Colo.)

• Fire 1

I think overall Ironman is the best, especially for the upper weights. For the lower weights, I think Doc B is a bit tougher.  You often see kids win Ironman or Beast of the East then come to Doc B and get worked.  And Doc B not having the Prep schools since Covid hurts it.  It's also hard for West Coast kids to come East.  Weigh-ins are at 4:00 am PST for those kids and they're wrestling at 5:00 am their time.

IMO... In Season Tournaments in order of toughness:  1) Ironman. 2) Doc B. 3) Beast of the East OR Reno TOC

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Jax said:

I think overall Ironman is the best, especially for the upper weights. For the lower weights, I think Doc B is a bit tougher.  You often see kids win Ironman or Beast of the East then come to Doc B and get worked.  And Doc B not having the Prep schools since Covid hurts it.  It's also hard for West Coast kids to come East.  Weigh-ins are at 4:00 am PST for those kids and they're wrestling at 5:00 am their time.

IMO... In Season Tournaments in order of toughness:  1) Ironman. 2) Doc B. 3) Beast of the East OR Reno TOC

In season, I agree. Overall toss up Super 32 or Iron Man. Super 32 may get the nod. 

6 hours ago, H82Lose said:

In season, I agree. Overall toss up Super 32 or Iron Man. Super 32 may get the nod. 

I think that’s really comparing apples and oranges on that one.  Ironman will be is hampered in the matchup due to the tournament inviting full teams and somewhat limited weight spots. Where as Ironman is open to all individuals and will make added space at the weight classes it want if additional studs sign up to attend.  Even with crazy good teams Ironman is still limited in overall talent when the entire tram comes along and there are only so many spots to fill.  If anything I think that makes the talent they have been able to pull in even more impressive. 

• Fire 1

Semi Final Round
106: #5-Tyler Dekraker, Blair NJ vs. Ethan Timar, St. Edward OH
106: #14-Ayden Smith, Notre Dame PA vs. #6-Dom Munaretto, St. Charles E. IL

113: #1-Bo Bassett, Bishop McCort PA vs. #9-Anthony Mutarelli, Malvern PA
113: #3-Beric Jordan, Stillwater OK vs. #8-Nate Desmond, BECA PA

120: #3-Jax Forrest, Bishop McCort PA vs. #8-Kael Lauridsen, Bennington NE
120: #1-Luke Lilledahl, Wy Sem PA vs #16-Leo DeLuca, Blair NJ

126: #2-Ben Davino, St. Charles E. IL vs. #11-Max Gallagher, Bayport Blue Point NY
126: #3-Mason Gibson, Bishop McCort vs. #5-Marc-Anthony McGowan, Blair

132: #1-Sergio Lemley, Mt. Carmel IN vs #5-Zan Fugitt, Nixa
132: #6-Vincent Robinson, Flossmoor IL vs. #4-Cael Hughes, Stillwater OK

138: #1-Nasir Bailey, Rich Twsp. IL vs. Brandon Cannon, Ponderosa CO
138: #8-Kollin Rath, BECA vs. #2-Kannon Webster, Washington IL

144: #6-Mac Church, Waynesburg PA vs #14-Kael Voinovich, Stillwater, O
144: #11-Sam Cartella, Western Reserve vs. Ty Wilson, Dublin Scioto OH

150: #2-LaDarion Lockett, Stillwater vs. #8-Will Henckel, Blair NJ
150: #4-Weston Dalton, Pueblo E. CO vs. #1-PJ Duke, Minisink Valley NY

157: #3-Joe Sealey, Wy Sem PA vs Ethan Birden, Dublin Coffman OH
157: Anthony Rhinehart, Crown Point vs. #6-Ethan Stiles, Conant IL

165: #1-Angelo Ferrari, Melissa TX vs #15-Holden Garcia, Notre Dame PA
165: #5-Daschle Lamer, Crescent Valley vs. #3-Lorenzo Norman, Blair NJ

175: #1-Rocco Welsh, Waynesburg PA vs. #8-(170)-Tyler Eise, Ponderosa
175: #14-Jarrell Miller, St. Edward OH vs. #19-Omaury Alvarez, Baylor TN

190: #1-Brayden Thompson, Lockport IL vs. #7-AJ Heeg, Stillwater OK
190: #8-Camden McDanel, Teays Valley OH vs. #6-Rune Lawrence, Frazier PA

215: #7-Jersey Robb, Bixby OK vs. #18-Cash Henderson, Woods Cross
215: #10-Dylan Russo, Olentangy Liberty OH vs. #8-Max Shulaw, St. Francis Desales OH

285: #6-Dillan Johnson, Joliet Catholic, IL vs. #12-Carter Neves, Blair
285: #10-Matthew Moore, Mesa Ridge vs. #7-Parker Ferrell, Christiansburg

MatScouts

• Fire 1

I completely whiffed on my predictions.

Anyone see the caution point in the Lockett match?  How do you make that call?

That’s one of those calls you just don’t have to make. You tell the kid to scoot forward and they actually wrestle to decide the match. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

it was 1-1 in OT and lockett already had 3 cautions and a stall call on him... if he had been interested in wrestling he would have not have been in that situation to begin with...

i don't think i have ever seen 4 cautions in a match... that is squarely on coaching... 

19 hours ago, Le duke said:

That’s one of those calls you just don’t have to make. You tell the kid to scoot forward and they actually wrestle to decide the match. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's play devil's advocate for a minute.

You're in the opposite corner and you see the ref point down to move up, do you jump out of your chair and say something? I would tend to think most coaches would, especially in a tight match.

Lots of high-profile losses based on questionable officiating.

One is Lockett's. You never like to see a kid lose 2-1 where all the other kid's points came from cautions for petty technical violations (toe not touching the line). I'd have to rewatch it to see how legit/illegit the calls were, but tough to watch either way.

Blaze's loss to DeLuca was based on a fleeing that mat call induced by DeLuca doing a throw-by on the edge of the mat.  Insane call.  Plainly wrong.  Glad to see Blaze get revenge in consies.

Bailey's loss might get the prize though.  Takes the kid down in OT and puts a leg in, and is riding a bit high -- and ref doesn't call the TD, instead lets them wrestler for another 6-7 seconds until the other kid gets the reversal, which the ref THEN calls as a TD.

i would not argue the call in cannon vs nasir in OT being questionable at best... 

but...

no less egregious than the non escape call in the 2nd that led to a couple of backs that should have never happened...

point being...

whining about bad calls is long term counter productive... and whining about correct calls just because they went against the color of singlet you like is even less so...

On 12/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, LJB said:

it was 1-1 in OT and lockett already had 3 cautions and a stall call on him... if he had been interested in wrestling he would have not have been in that situation to begin with...

i don't think i have ever seen 4 cautions in a match... that is squarely on coaching... 

I was going to say that you probably see it in the beginner stuff.. but then I realized.. most beginners usually DQ themselves/penalty themselves on locked hands or full Nelson’s. Long before they get to 4 cautions. 

yeah 4 cautions is on the coach 

How does a #1 ranked kid not know how to start, and end up with four false starts in one match?  You see that with first year wrestlers---but seasoned ones. 

Don't fault the official for the last call---like someone stated, if you are in the opposite corner and you see the official point to move up, you likely come unglued questioning the official---and rightly so.