2023 Ranking tournaments

Mike Parrish

• 1 month later...

ummm I'm sorry but Hayden Hidley down at 70??? WHAT

Cox and Snyder about to hit in the quarterfinals. It was fun while it lasted J'Den and I applaud you for seeking out the best competition. And for goodness sakes, please be sure to avoid the popara until after you weigh-in. Maybe after this he realizes that getting one more medal at 92 for an OTT bye to the semis might not be the worst idea (Kollin Moore disagrees).

Geno and Zare resuming their rivalry. I hope Geno has done literally any cardio whatsoever because he always looks like an average D1 wrestler at rankings events before he remembers he is a multi-time world champ when it matters and he finally hits the bike in the fall.

i am an idiot on the internet

63kg- any day we get to see iman mohammadi is a good day... the boys and i are all in agreement that he is our current favorite to watch... his foot fighting is nasty...

ciobanu is another personal fave in the same bracket...

55kg- the only american who wrestled for a medal at serbia is not going... 

60kg- interesting from a personal stand point... domestically our deepest weight... top 3 will all be there... 

72kg- we have benji... i am interested to see how he responds to last years big jump and then the reality check of international greco...

77kg- i am finally officially and completely done with any expectations for kamal... i like holmes and he wrestles, but, US greco... there is still hope for our young guy jacobson... he won some matches at U20 last year...

87kg- prepared for vera to rip my heart out again...

For Japan's womens team, they  basically have junior team aged wresters, but that's who won the Emperor's Cup spots(lol)

5 of their seniors-Susaki(23), Fujinami(recently turned 19), Nanjo(22), Motoki(20) and Sakano(28), replacing Risako Kinjo(Kawai)

3 juniors- Kiyooka(19), Yoshitake(20), Moro(18) and Sasaki.  Sasaki is an interesting one because she's 18 and placed 8th at the Emperor's Cup at 59kg, but wrestling up at 68kg?  Typo maybe?

On 1/20/2023 at 9:02 AM, LJB said:

63kg- any day we get to see iman mohammadi is a good day... the boys and i are all in agreement that he is our current favorite to watch... his foot fighting is nasty...

ciobanu is another personal fave in the same bracket...

55kg- the only american who wrestled for a medal at serbia is not going... 

60kg- interesting from a personal stand point... domestically our deepest weight... top 3 will all be there... 

72kg- we have benji... i am interested to see how he responds to last years big jump and then the reality check of international greco...

77kg- i am finally officially and completely done with any expectations for kamal... i like holmes and he wrestles, but, US greco... there is still hope for our young guy jacobson... he won some matches at U20 last year...

87kg- prepared for vera to rip my heart out again...

Vera surprises me every time he loses. He is a freak and is head and shoulders above anyone else in America. 

6 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

Vera surprises me every time he loses. He is a freak and is head and shoulders above anyone else in America. 

i want vera to be better than he has shown...

i am just not convinced anymore he is...

but he is most definitely a physical freak...

We could see a Yazdani vs. Zahid Valencia match.  

Would tell us something about where Zahid is.  

He' definitely seems to be on the rise, though Taylor handled him easily in the second match last year.

86kg
Benjamin GREIL (AUT)
Abubakr ABAKAROV (AZE)
Andrew JOHNSON (CAN)
Zushen LIN (CHN)
Xiao SUN (CHN)
Akhmed AIBUEV (FRA)
Ruslan VALIEV (FRA)
Tariel GAPHRINDASHVILI (GEO)
VICKY (IND)
Hassan YAZDANI (IRI)
Uri KALASHNIKOV (ISR)
Hayato ISHIGURO (JPN)
Sebastian JEZIERZANSKI (POL)
Myles AMINE (SMR)
Boris MAKOEV (SVK)
Zahid VALENCIA (USA)
Mark HALL (USA)

Edited by SocraTease

I expect Hall and Zahid will be paired into the same side. If not, hoooo booyyyy do I want to see Yaz and Hall.

I genuinely expect a “tight” (saying that loosely) and cerebral match between Hall and Yazdani that is within two takedowns and a couple push outs. I think Hall is undersized but has a strong enough wrestling IQ to stay closer than he would against Zahid who appears to really, REALLY have Hall’s number until proven otherwise. Yazdani is a beast and runaway #2 that stole a match from Taylor, and Taylor and Nickal ran Hall out of town…

I think Zahid wins his side of the bracket no matter what, I think he gets one TD or push out on Yazdani, and I think an offseason Yazdani plays with his prey like a cat playing with a mouse. Don’t look too far into the results.

Will also be interesting if Amine and Hall hit. Hall is again undersized, but I find him to be a superior wrestler. If Zahid and Amine cross paths then, well, I guess we find out if it’s better to be #2 on the USA ladder or be a D1 expat.

Makoev could also be a bit of a spoiler if he has a good day and deserves to be respected but I’ve been on the record before that 2022 was mickey mouse medals without Russia (Naifonov/Kurugliev).

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

If Zahid and Amine cross paths then, well, I guess we find out if it’s better to be #2 on the USA ladder or be a D1 expat.

I expect Zahid to handle Amine, but I think your question was answered when Amine came home with an Olympic Bronze medal. 

• Fire 1

the boy and i were talking bisultanov this weekend trying to psych ourselves up for the longest day ever...

i just realized how giddy i am to get the opportunity to watch real wrestling this weekend...

the long cold winter is getting closer to being over...

• Fire 2

Looks like an interesting bracket.  Zahid has shown he can beat Hall.   Can Zahid beat the olympic bronze medallist Amine?  Maybe.   Can Zahid beat the Olympic and current World Silver Medallist?   That would be a match to see.   I don't think Zahid is quite there yet.   My guess is he makes it to the semis and loses.   It would be great to see him win and get into the finals but I'm guessing not.   It would be a trip if both he and Hall got to the finals.    That would be as we might say, unexpected!!

mspart

1 minute ago, mspart said:

Zahid has shown he can beat Hall.   Can Zahid beat the olympic bronze medallist Amine?  Maybe.   Can Zahid beat the Olympic and current World Silver Medallist? 

Zahid teched Hall off the mat last time. The gap has widened between the two since Hall last won their frosh year in folk.

Zahid readily handled Amine when they met up at the Warsaw ranking tourney. A backdoor olympic bronze is still an olympic bronze, but Amine should be happy Zahid isn't following his brother's footsteps to join the MEX team.

Zahid has a near-zero chance against Yazdani. I hope to be proven wrong.

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

Zahid teched Hall off the mat last time. The gap has widened between the two since Hall last won their frosh year in folk.

Zahid readily handled Amine when they met up at the Warsaw ranking tourney. A backdoor olympic bronze is still an olympic bronze, but Amine should be happy Zahid isn't following his brother's footsteps to join the MEX team.

Zahid has a near-zero chance against Yazdani. I hope to be proven wrong.

there is nothing i disagree with in this post at all..

no disrespect to zahid, but, if he gets the privilege to be on the mat with yazdani then he will be lucky indeed...

Yazdani will not give it a second thought...

i have to stick with my long standing position that i don't care about seeding... 

it doesn't matter...

no excuses...

but...

i would have damn sure preferred maybe one warm up match before Leivesi last summer...

the margins are thin at this level... 

1 hour ago, LJB said:

i have to stick with my long standing position that i don't care about seeding... 

it doesn't matter...

no excuses...

but...

i would have damn sure preferred maybe one warm up match before Leivesi last summer...

the margins are thin at this level... 

I sure wish UWW did full double elimination wrestle back to a single third place brackets.

2 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I sure wish UWW did full double elimination wrestle back to a single third place brackets.

i sure wish i had been born wealthy instead of being so damn clever and having these strong hillbilly genetics that have allowed me to retain my boyish good looks at my advanced age...

i get the sentiment, but, the current repechage rules do not bother me at all... 

every second of every match means so much more like this...

i am ok with that...

2 hours ago, LJB said:

it doesn't matter...

no excuses...

I generally agree with this.  Is there a case where the champ won because of seeding where he/she wouldn't have won it all with different seeding?  Probably.   But I think these cases are few.  The idea of seeding is to have the freshest wrestlers in the finals.  If they had to go through the #2 , #3, #4, and #5 guy, they might not be as rested.  

I think that is the general reason for seeding.  But the champ will win out no matter the seeding in my opinion.  

mspart