2023 Ranking tournaments

Mike Parrish

48 minutes ago, LJB said:

i get the sentiment, but, the current repechage rules do not bother me at all... 

I like repechage much better than the losers of the semis get to have at it for the bronze.   And it gives an otherwise #2 guy a chance at a medal. 

I would rather there be a double elimination bracket but repachage in the current method is far superior to what we had. 

mspart

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

I like repechage much better than the losers of the semis get to have at it for the bronze.   And it gives an otherwise #2 guy a chance at a medal. 

I would rather there be a double elimination bracket but repachage in the current method is far superior to what we had. 

mspart

repechage has just how it's been done since we were involved at a level that i really started paying attention to international wrestling other than peripherally...

i came into the game much later than most and clearly lucky to have only really experienced international rules when they are (seemingly) far superior to anything that came before...

Well, wrestling has gone through many rule changes regarding how tournaments were done.   John Smith lost a match in the 1992 Olympics and still won due to the system in place called black mark.   At that time there were pools like World Cup Soccer and the best in the pools moved on.  1996 Olympics I believe had a true double elimination bracket.  I think after that there was a 3 point rule where if there were not 3 points scored by the end of the match, the match went into overtime.  Late 90s they instituted the single elimination tourney with the semi final losers wrestling off for 3rd.  This lasted a few years until we have what we have now, single elimination unless you lose to a finalist and you are still alive to get a bronze.  All the churn was in the time frame of IOC kicking out Wrestling from the Olympics.  IOC said only 6 weights at some point and the WCs were done on that same basis.   The excuse was that the IOC would kick them out.  The federation changed to UWW and we now have 10 weights at WCs, 6 in Olys.  There was a time when the 4 weights not in the Olys did a WC that year.   Not sure if that is still happening. 

A lot of changes for sure.  I would rather see double elimination, but I'm ok with what we have now.

mspart

for sure...

when i fell into this sport and we decided it was the best shit ever they were still doing pool brackets... pretty sure fargo was still using them when i became aware of fargo...

(i have only know fargo as fargo which is another indication of my wrestling time line)

i did not then nor do i now actually understand those types of brackets and just because i never had to...

the boys had just started traveling nationally when the save wrestling thing was big... still in OK... had the t-shirts

the different points and all that jazz is always changing and i have to consciously make a mental note of that while going down rabbit holes of old matches...

my position has always been that no matter what rule set is in place, the best on that day will be crowned...

one day as a lion...

On 1/24/2023 at 11:40 AM, Mike Parrish said:

Keep in mind that there is a +2kg allowance for all ranking tournaments this year.

Is there a reason for the allowance in ranking tournaments? I understand allowances for random tournaments but it seems to me that if you want a seed at worlds you should have to do it at the actual weight you will be wrestling. 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Red95 said:

Is there a reason for the allowance in ranking tournaments? I understand allowances for random tournaments but it seems to me that if you want a seed at worlds you should have to do it at the actual weight you will be wrestling. 

I don't know.

There wasn't any sort of rationale provided.

If I were guessing, I'd bet it's something to do with the long downtime around COVID.