Speaker of the House

Mike Parrish

Hakeem just needs 8 Rs to vote for him and he's the Speaker!!   McCarthy gets it before that happens.   But McCarthy is not playing this very well.   If he wants to be Speaker, and all indications are that he does, he needs to woo 17 of them.   Probably not hard, they all probably want the same thing. 

Promise them on his mothers grave or her life and then break the promise after the vote - a time honored move in today's politics. 

mspart

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

Hakeem just needs 8 Rs to vote for him and he's the Speaker!!   McCarthy gets it before that happens.   But McCarthy is not playing this very well.   If he wants to be Speaker, and all indications are that he does, he needs to woo 17 of them.   Probably not hard, they all probably want the same thing. 

Promise them on his mothers grave or her life and then break the promise after the vote - a time honored move in today's politics. 

mspart

I don't see the democrats or the Taliban20 giving in any time soon.

If 12 republicans leave or vote 'present' then Jeffries is speaker as well.

If McCarthy makes a deal and reneges, they'll never vote for anything he wants and he will have a 'move to vacate the speaker' motion started against him.

He's in a real tight spot.

Edited by Mike Parrish

16 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Pure urea from the Taliban20.

Calling them the Taliban20 is flattering to them. The Taliban has an ideology. These guys just like to watch the world burn so they can get hits on Fox News. Check out the grin on Gates' face when he comes up with his swamp/alligator line which makes absolutely no sense, but he knew in the moment would play on Fox.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Calling them the Taliban20 is flattering to them. The Taliban has an ideology. These guys just like to watch the world burn so they can get hits on Fox News. Check out the grin on Gates' face when he comes up with his swamp/alligator line which makes absolutely no sense, but he knew in the moment would play on Fox.

The source of Taliban20.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/04/taliban-20-digs-against-kevin-mccarthy-as-house-tries-to-pick-speaker/

They're all grandstanding and I'm eating popcorn by the cubic meter.

Edited by Mike Parrish

19 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

KM's soul and integrity have always been on the market.  Right now, it is the open market.
What is the best deal Democrats could get for ~40 present votes?  Put aside the humiliation of Gaetz, Boebert, Gosar, et al. which is a prize in and of itself.

• CoChairs for all committees
  • Equal authority on committees
  • Open voting on amendments to bills
  • The expulsion from the house, by combined votes of Ds and Rs, of the Taliban20 and allowing the states to appoint replacement representatives from outside the batshit brigade

So who will be the next speaker of the House?  I heard McCarthy agreed to a demand that any house member could call for a recall vote.   Can you imagine the D's not doing that every second of every hour?   I think McCarthy feels he is the heir apparent and is willing to do anything to close the deal.   I have to say I'm not impressed.   I don't know anything about him at all, but that is not a principled stance.   I would rather see someone there with actual principles.  No wonder many don't really trust him.  

mspart