Fix dropping to 125?

Jimmy Cinnabon

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Fix is probably staying at 61 this year given the tight turnaround from NCAAs to US Open since there is no WTT at 57. So what about the inverse - does Lee bump up in February? If he does and he wins, does he get the Hodge?

Lee gets the Hodge if he wrestles anything similar to a schedule and wins out at 125.

Gilman is not already coronated World Team member  at 57 kg.  There is still a process to make the team.  Fix or Lee or anyone else has the opportunity to knock Gilman off.

11 minutes ago, Caveira said:

I just think you cross a different bridge taking PEDs in college / international sports.   I also don’t believe for a second if was just that once.   I also believe both coaches, fix, his father had to openly lie and support the narrative that daddy left a unmarked bottle in the fridge….  Knowing full well his kid is a college / international athlete subject to not taking banned substances.   

comparing PEDs to a speeding ticket isn’t worth arguing over.   

In theory PEDs benefits the individual while speeding may provide some individual benefit but kills innocent lives.  Both are violations of the laws/rules.  

29 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Lee gets the Hodge if he wrestles anything similar to a schedule and wins out at 125.

Gilman is not already coronated World Team member  at 57 kg.  There is still a process to make the team.  Fix or Lee or anyone else has the opportunity to knock Gilman off.

The turnaround from NCAAs to the US Open is very tight and Fix would have to be already in his descent at NCAAs if he plans to give 57 a shot. Remember, with the new rules any weight with a returning medalist sits in Final X and that weight class will not have a world team trials tourney; the US Open winner faces the incumbent medalist (Gilman) at Final X. The alternative would be that he certified at 125 and plans to hold that weight for multiple weeks which seems like a very tall task.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

19 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The turnaround from NCAAs to the US Open is very tight and Fix would have to be already in his descent at NCAAs if he plans to give 57 a shot. Remember, with the new rules any weight with a returning medalist sits in Final X and that weight class will not have a world team trials tourney; the US Open winner faces the incumbent medalist (Gilman) at Final X. The alternative would be that he certified at 125 and plans to hold that weight for multiple weeks which seems like a very tall task.

Agreed with everything.

2 hours ago, ionel said:

What about grabbing headgear or knee pads (saw one of those last night) that cheating, why don't we ban them for at least a season?  What about coaches who run out onto the mat, thats cheating & violation of the rules, they should be deemed such and banned for life?

What about "speculators" they are going beyond the facts, is that not cheating?  

Again, pretty sure the committee ruled there was no benefit, are you just speculating? 

Don't get me started on Tom Brady!

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

By speeding?

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Actually that might help, too.

The 80s and 90s are coming back en vogue so does that mean speedballs are back on the menu?

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Agreed with everything.

So don't you think the more plausible plan would be to stay at 133, go to the Open and try to win a spot to Final X, try to medal at worlds, then get a bye to the 57kg semis at 2024 OTT in a non-olympic weight?

Seems much better than doing an Uncle John suckdown for 6-8 weeks only to have a less than 50% shot at Gilman, no?

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

So don't you think the more plausible plan would be to stay at 133, go to the Open and try to win a spot to Final X, try to medal at worlds, then get a bye to the 57kg semis at 2024 OTT in a non-olympic weight?

Seems much better than doing an Uncle John suckdown for 6-8 weeks only to have a less than 50% shot at Gilman, no?

Daton yes, Spencer no.

Spencer isn't going up unless he loses at 57 kg (if 61 kg is an option? Has that been answered?)

Crazy thing about the John Smith suckdown is that John didn't do much sucking down himself.

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Daton yes, Spencer no.

Spencer isn't going up unless he loses at 57 kg (if 61 kg is an option? Has that been answered?)

Crazy thing about the John Smith suckdown is that John didn't do much sucking down himself.

Spencer isn't going up to 61, I was only asking if he would bump up to 133 for a single dual against Fix because it was a fun hypothetical. I don't think he will, but it is a fun question to ask. I also don't think Fix drops to 125 for NCAAs or 57. Unless he wants to guarantee another silver medal...

• Fire 2

So, I don’t see Fix dropping to 57, (1) I think dropping would take a toll on his body and (2) he then has to face Gilman, who has become a force for us at this weight. It just doesn’t add up for me.
As far as Spencer goes, he could win the US Open and then challenge Gilman, but I don’t think we see him wrestling at 57 until next year for the Olympics. The reason I say this is because I think that his knees and his recovery isn’t where it needs to be to win a World Championship. 

10 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Nope.

Unlike previous years, dominating wrestling isn't a guarantee for Lee this year. He's obviously gimpy.

He's got to wrestle a quality schedule, and show he's a dominant wrestler, while going undefeated. Won't be easy at all.

In other words, it's not Spencer's to lose - he's going to have to earn it. It'll be an uphill battle.

• Fire 3

9 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Nope.

Unlike previous years, dominating wrestling isn't a guarantee for Lee this year. He's obviously gimpy.

He's got to wrestle a quality schedule, and show he's a dominant wrestler, while going undefeated. Won't be easy at all.

In other words, it's not Spencer's to lose - he's going to have to earn it. It'll be an uphill battle.

I'd love to see Lee vs RBY(I also think it'd be kinda stupid given his health and how he's working his way back into it, but I'd still enjoy it).

What's the closest we've seen to that? Abas and Guerrero? Askren v Herbert(I think Askren bumped up after his win his Jr year). 

What was the best match where a Wrestler bumped up to try and make a point?

7 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I'd love to see Lee vs RBY(I also think it'd be kinda stupid given his health and how he's working his way back into it, but I'd still enjoy it).

What's the closest we've seen to that? Abas and Guerrero? Askren v Herbert(I think Askren bumped up after his win his Jr year). 

Imagine how quickly the Brands bros would be on the mat when RBY has Lee's face in the mat and starts grabbing at a foot, looking for a cradle or a go behind. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Dan Gable vs Mike Grant

Was that before Gable won a title though?

I mean, either way it's a big one, but it feels more like Zain vs Stieber(unless I'm mistaken and Gable had already won a title). 

Edited by scourge165

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Was that before Gable won a title though?

I mean, either way it's a big one, but it feels more like Zain vs Stieber(unless I'm mistaken and Gable had already won a title). 

They were both returning NCAA champs, kindve the point why he bumped up.

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Askren v. Kish

If you want to take it out of dual meets:  Schultz v. Banach; Dake vs. Taylor.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Nope.

Not necessarily accurate.  The committee has already shown a bias toward Lee in 2021. 

Plus he has 100% bonus and just absolutely demolished a guy who would be ranked top 10 at the moment.