Is there bias in the news media?

mspart

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/253477/breaking-mark-houck-cleared-of-face-act-charges-in-rebuke-to-justice-department

BREAKING: Mark Houck cleared of FACE Act charges in rebuke to Justice Department’s aggressive prosecution

Pro-life activist Mark Houck was found not guilty Monday on federal assault charges stemming from a shoving incident outside a Philadelphia abortion clinic.

... After local authorities declined to press charges, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) stepped in, dispatching a team of FBI agents to arrest Houck at gunpoint in front of his terrified wife and children.

... U.S. District Judge Gerald Pappert himself raised the possibility that the case should never have been brought to trial, asking the prosecution Thursday whether the federal FACE Act didn’t “seem to be stretched a little thin here.”

Interestingly, I found this on Google after seeing a Daily Caller email.   On the google page, there is no CBS, NYT, WAPO, other alphabet networks, but there is entries by Washington examiner and other smaller local stations and other outlets.   This is news.   Why are the big folks so late with reporting.   I'm sure they will get to it but no rush to get the scoop. 

Does this mean that these other outlets that are seemingly right leaning are wrong on this?  Or are they correct on this?   This is something used by liberals all the time.  Well, its not in my news sources of choice so it must not be true or important enough to report on.   Well, this is clearly a case of the latter.   Doesn't fit the narrative they want to portray.   If he was found guilty, they would have responded immediately no doubt. 

A man defending his son against this blowhard is not unreasonable.  Jury agreed.  Judge agreed.   But DOJ did not.   They are the only ones going after this guy and they lost spectacularly. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

38 minutes ago, LJB said:

there is not one person that can trust network news...

they are all bought and paid for on both sides...

finding actual "news" reported without an agenda takes a real act of vigilance...

You're in trouble now! Your friend in the Zoo is going to let you have it!

I decided to look again for new of this issue.    Here are the results of my google search.  

image.thumb.png.0c58b9ea1afea091d4cc5a7a922af6e4.png

image.thumb.png.a73bc6606febe9f04a1b4bbfbe50f7df.png

So what does this tell us about the news media?   This is news.   Local authorities refused to prosecute.   DOJ decided otherwise.   FBI came into the house brandishing weapons to cart him off in front of his wife and family.   And is acquitted.   Is not this news?    Apparently not news the big guys want us to know about. 

mspart

On 1/30/2023 at 3:38 PM, LJB said:

there is not one person that can trust network news...

they are all bought and paid for on both sides...

finding actual "news" reported without an agenda takes a real act of vigilance...

The media has a 34% favorability rating and a 48% unfavorable rating.  Less than half the country trusts the media. Down from a hight of 72% 50 years ago. Democrats have a higher trust in media than Republicans once again demonstrating how gullible Democrats are.

Edited by El Luchador

The democrats have higher trust because big tech is a left-wing echo chamber.

OpenAI is going into Bing, and Bing might displace the Google search monopoly.

Google censors right-wing views so will there be less bias with Bing?

No, absolutely not. 

Microsoft = Bill Gates & West Coast democrats = Censorship + OpenAI bias = 右翼がねじ込まれている

image.png.e6fd70bb185b0df21bb78cf3218544e0.pngimage.thumb.png.ffc4daeb91ffe6b287152b2f0fa0be8d.png

Reuters and the BBC are reasonably neutral.  Content on the BBC is entertaining.  I don't think a neutral American news outlet exists.  They are all narrative driven to tell people what they want to hear.  In my experience, most who strongly distrust the MSM blindly believe harebrained nonsense not sourced from there. 

• Fire 1

It is very difficult to discern accurate information.  Did you ever think we would get to the point where you can't even trust a picture.  I avoid most "news" simply because even if it's accurate it still leaves you with more unanswered questions than it does understanding.  I honestly find Fox intolerable with the exception of Tucker Carlson who is at least entertaining.  There is no original content and no indepth coverage.  Say what you want about Project Veritas,  at least they pursue original content. 

Edited by El Luchador

I don't like how PV acquires its content, but the end justifies the means.

The words coming out of the people's mouths in PV videos continue to shock me.  

How left-leaning media ignores the content in the PV videos es un espectáculo de mierda.

14 hours ago, jross said:

The democrats have higher trust because big tech is a left-wing echo chamber.

OpenAI is going into Bing, and Bing might displace the Google search monopoly.

Google censors right-wing views so will there be less bias with Bing?

No, absolutely not. 

Microsoft = Bill Gates & West Coast democrats = Censorship + OpenAI bias = 右翼がねじ込まれている

image.png.e6fd70bb185b0df21bb78cf3218544e0.pngimage.thumb.png.ffc4daeb91ffe6b287152b2f0fa0be8d.png

Hate Trump, but this is terrible...ugh!

• 7 months later...
19 minutes ago, jross said:

A reminder of Google's political bias against conservatives, censorship, & the use of blacklist.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201227235023/https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1343342658949804033.html

It's not really censorship,  and certainly not legally so,  as only gubment doing so legally qualifies as censorship.

Like Twitter, private companies can censor any one or any thing. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

14 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

So use a different search engine.  BFD.  I only use Google's search engine on accident, which I'll freely admit is easy to do 

Yes,  be careful.  One of our resident "geniuses" (Off The Mat?) thinks that using Google is big gubment mind control. 

I kid you not. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

Is there bias in the news media?

Yes.

Nuff said.

Yes,  but you don't have to stop and start there.  Not all media presented to the public is biased. 

Even with that said,  and goes to the question of value-free research,  too many people have been duped into believing that bias automatically equals inaccurate.  That is also not always the case.

I demonstrate both of these in every class,  every semester.  It's a great way to learn good critical thinking skills.