2023 Zagreb Open rankings tourney thread

bnwtwg

UWW Page can be found here

You can watch on FloWrestling here (don't forget to turn on your Rocket Mortgage ad blockers)

Wednesday is MFS 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, and 86. Thursday is MFS 79, 92, 97, 125, WFS 50-55

MFS draws have come out. Brackets are linked by weight.

57kg: Zain Richards and Darian Cruz both have tough Japan matchups out the gate. Hoping for good results but also wouldn't be surprised by bbq's

61kg: Welp. That's a bracket. Thank u next.

65kg: Great bracket as a US fan and even better bracket as a global fan. Nick Lee and Sebastian Rivera  + Joey McKenne and Finesilver +  Destribats and Ochir to start the morning at 65. Henderson should make quarters, winner of Lee/Seabass gets Musukaev and dear god I want to see Lee just absolutely gas him SOOOO BAD. I think McKenna has a good shot at making the finals and possibly gold but he has to be on his A game. The random draw turned this bracket into an absolute meatgrinder with some good talent watching from the bleachers.

70kg: So Hidlay decided weight cutting is fun and he's coming out of retirement? Haji should take this bracket, but I expect good comp from Berger and Pantaleo on each side of the bracket.

74kg: Another US heavy bracket but overall ehhh. Nolf should take home a gold medal but looking forward to seeing Finesilver and N Kuramagomedo.

79kg: Look, sometimes international tourneys don't always get great turnouts. And sometimes you have the first Iranian to beat Jordan Burroughs. Somehow this bracket is both.

86kg: Hall/Makoev in the quarters, winner gets Yazdani in the semis. Amine and Zahid on the other semi. This bracket is much better.

92kg: I think Moore wins the whole shebang but catching Nurmagomedov first is not so fun. 

97kg: Snyder wins handily. He opens against 2022 world brone Magomedov... who was teched 10-0 by Snyder at 2022 worlds. Nice to see other schools catching onto the University of Michigan exchange student program with Ben Honis competing for Italy on the top of the bracket. J'den Cox did not get a draw so going to go ahead which confirms he is not participating as previously announced.

125kg: I thought Geno was attending so that is a real bummer. Zare should handily pick up seeding points that will be very crucial for earning the easier semi at Belgrade. Zilmer will have a tough first round, and I'm optimistic that he will hit Jordan Wood in the semis.

Edited by bnwtwg
  • Fire 3

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

74kg: Another US heavy bracket but overall ehhh. Nolf should take home a gold medal but looking forward to seeing Finesilver and N Kuramagomedo.

Overall great analysis but Nolf winning would be a pretty big surprise. 2X world silver Salkazanov is the clear favorite to win gold. He's on the other side of the bracket and will likely face 2022 world bronze Younes Emami in the second round. 

Also, Nolf's second match against Gadzhiev will be tough...he was a U20 world champ last year.

2 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Overall great analysis but Nolf winning would be a pretty big surprise. 2X world silver Salkazanov is the clear favorite to win gold. He's on the other side of the bracket and will likely face 2022 world bronze Younes Emami in the second round. 

Also, Nolf's second match against Gadzhiev will be tough...he was a U20 world champ last year.

Thank you, that means a lot coming from you! I genuinely think Nolf takes 74 and I think he has a plus/minus of +8 or higher at the end of the day.

Good showing from Team USA through the quarters. My four notes amongst the tons of action so far:

Lee/Musukaev will be fun.

Evan Henderson is must-watch TV. Down 12-12 in a typical wild one then gets a pin.

Mark Hall had a naaaasty superduck for a last second win. Excited to see him against Makoev.

For anyone who complains about dropping to the knees to save a stepout point, Zane Richards just did that and JPN hit a go-behind to win the match.