2023 Zagreb Open rankings tourney thread

bnwtwg

4 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Yes, the key is to get Musakaev to the final 2 minutes.  Kind of like the approach to Spencer Lee. 🙂

Yanni famously came back on hims from something like 8 or 9 down

Easier said than done. Just ask Spencer's cousin Nick who tried that approach earlier today and couldn't get through the first 2 minutes.

i am an idiot on the internet

McKenna trying to bang with a 65kg clydesdale instead of creating space. Tumur Ochir up 2-0 at the break and he has a gas tank. Time to see what McKenna is made of. Warned before the start of the 2nd for hands on the head which is laughable in a clean, physical match.

After ~:75 MGL gets off the first shot of the second period and converts. McKenna needs to take a risk he's already down 4-0 with nothing to lose. Finally gets his first shot off with :30ish left. Solid showing overall from McKenna but Tumur Ochir on a different level physically and positionally don't let the scoreboard fool you.

Pantaleo coming up against Aliyev in the finals at 70 KG.  Then Nolf in the finals at 74 KG.  

Aliyev is a 3-time World Champ at 61KG and has medaled at 57 KG and 65 KG in the Olympics.

Guess he has decided to get fat in his old age.  Should be an interesting matchup.  I seem to recall Aliyev being a bit of a trickster on the mat while Pantaleo is more about power, position, and pace

Back to the important stuff...

Not a terrible bracket for Dom.

Dom gets Sam Stewart CAN first match.
She's beaten her before, but it was close.
Stewart is tough and wily, but has moments of breakdowns.

Second match MATNAZAROVA AZB who hasn't placed at a senior level tournament.
Should be an easier match.

Quarters will likely be PROFATILOVA FRA (UKR) who also hasn't placed at a senior level tournament.
Another winnable match.

Semis is going to be Fujinami JPN.
Bring the popcorn, folks.

Top quarter bracket has Godinez CAN, Guzman ECU, KRAWCZYK POL, so no walk for Fujinami.
Godinez, in particular, is a physical wrestler.

Third quarter bracket is likely to be BATKHUYAG MGL, world silver.

Fourth quarter bracket is likely to be BAT OCHIR MGL, with LEORDA MDA giving her some work.

Bottom half bracket should be BAT OCHIR making the finals.

Time to see if all that training has paid off.

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Still clearly Tier 2, though, right?

Hint: He never was.

Zahid was not prepared for this tournament.  That first takedown against him from Japan indicated a lack of focus.  He stands tall, touches his face, and puts his hand to his side.  Japan shoot at this exact moment.  

image.png.ad015535da7ecf0d64438b5c0faffaf9.png

9 minutes ago, jross said:

Zahid was not prepared for this tournament.  That first takedown against him from Japan indicated a lack of focus.  He stands tall, touches his face, and puts his hand to his side.  Japan shoot at this exact moment.  

did not watch the match, but, not surprised to hear/see/whatever...

a few comments that come to mind, but, none of them would be helpful...

Nolf pulls out another close one.  Three tough matches in a row in win gold.  He had the only takedown and a push out.   The Iranian had two push outs and a caution point.  3-3 on criteria.   Way to win the tight matches.   The Iranian was a two time bronze medalist at the World Championships

Edited by SocraTease

18 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Overall great analysis but Nolf winning would be a pretty big surprise. 2X world silver Salkazanov is the clear favorite to win gold. He's on the other side of the bracket and will likely face 2022 world bronze Younes Emami in the second round. 

Also, Nolf's second match against Gadzhiev will be tough...he was a U20 world champ last year.

Dunking all over Kozak's take. Bet you never thought you'd be wrong to a broken clock didja?

2,591 Shaq Dunk Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

• Haha 1

Just now, bnwtwg said:

Dunking all over Kozak's take. Bet you never thought you'd be wrong to a broken clock didja?

2,591 Shaq Dunk Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

lol...came here to give you props for your Nolf pick. Happy to be wrong if it means an American winning!

Nolf is steadily improving his freestyle game. Beat Bizhoev (2021 world bronze) last January and now the win over Emami (2022 world bronze). 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

lol...came here to give you props for your Nolf pick. Happy to be wrong if it means an American winning!

Nolf is steadily improving his freestyle game. Beat Bizhoev (2021 world bronze) last January and now the win over Emami (2022 world bronze). 

Yes, Nolf is being more strategic about this shots and improving his positioning and defense.  That's necessary against top guys whom he can't just overwhelm with offense

• Fire 2

i had nolf on the screen, but, it is hard to maintain focus for me in this style...

that being said...

he did look much more like a wrestler then i remember thinking the last time i watched him in...

good for him...

now i have to go rinse me eyes out after watching this "par terre"...

shameful...

32 minutes ago, LJB said:

yazdani...

an true joy to watch...

Ishiguro really impressed me today, he just happened to run into a superstar that makes it look easy. No reason he can't be in the conversation for a bronze in 8 months since 86 is a real crapshoot after the top 2.

Just now, bnwtwg said:

Ishiguro really impressed me today, he just happened to run into a superstar that makes it look easy. No reason he can't be in the conversation for a bronze in 8 months since 86 is a real crapshoot after the top 2.

i had/have no context for ishiguro other than when the match started i was damn, that is a good sized 86kg guy...

then the quick TD and i raised an eyebrow...

then...

well...

the best on the planet started doing best on the planet stuff...